Re: Directory rights

Michael wrote:
Just to recap, my question is; there must be a way to hide directories,
every other OS can do it.

Not with Linux. You will always be able to see the files and directories
in the directory you are allowed to enter.

e.g. as a user you can enter /home. You must be able to do so, because
you need access to /home/user.

This means you will be able to see what is in /home. The way to do
'hidden' things in Linux is to put a . (dot) in front of it. That
however is not really hidden. You just don't see it by default.

The only thing you might learn are the other logins. That's it. Even if
you would be able to hide it, there are other ways to find out what
logins are on a Linux syste, Just type `w` or `ps aux` or ...

--
houghi Please do not toppost http://houghi.org
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF,

  • Re: Only allowing root access at console
    ... >> I am using SUSE Linux 8.1 Professional. ... I would like to allow root ... I don't think it restricts all logins to only ttys? ... depend on how well integrated all programs and packages are on Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Is it difficult to move from Linux
    ... Is it difficult to move from Linux? ... of reasons become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. ... into the passwd file so that it looks like a Linux/SysV passwd ... When you get the saved file from 'vipw' all the other logins should ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Directory rights
    ... houghi wrote: ... The only thing you might learn are the other logins. ... logins are on a Linux system, Just type `w` or `ps aux` or ... ... I gather that if user1 has permission to see /SomeDir ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Great idea to help "military intelligence"
    ... sourced malware and deal with it. ... I installed Linux. ... Michael, you forgot to put a smiley on there! ... of several businesses that have tried to switch to Linux, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Suspend-to-Disk, KDE 3.4.3 & SuSE 10
    ... > Michael Mauch wrote: ... unmountest, bevor Du Linux schlafenlegst? ... Prev by Date: ... Next by Date: ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.apps.kde)