Re: How to clean up the file system?

Merlin wrote:
Hi there,

I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. Does somebody
know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than 1 MB?
I usually use ls -h to see the filesize of each file within a directory.

What I do not know how to do is:
1. find out the complete file size of a directory including all files belonging
to it.

du -h --max-depth=1 /dir

2. crawl a directory for files that are bigger than 1 MB e.g.

ls -AlFShr /dir |grep M
This will also catch all other files with a M in it.

Wiser might be to sort on `last changed`. That way you can see what is
added and perhaps why.
Somehow my filesystem is almost full. Especially hda5. No idea how that swoll up
to almost 100%. The server starts crashing once 100% are reached. I had this 2
times. But I can not find files that I can delete within /usr

Here is the df -h output:

/dev/hda1 510M 181M 303M 38% /
/dev/hda5 4.9G 4.7G 245M 96% /usr
/dev/hda6 4.9G 310M 4.6G 7% /var
/dev/hda7 63G 52G 11G 84% /home
tmpfs 501M 5.4M 496M 2% /tmp
tmpfs 20M 0 20M 0% /dev/shm

Also you can use konquror. View, View something > File size view or or
the button with all the pretty colours.

Be carefull with deleting files in /usr. Best first rename them and see
what happens.
Do you have the kernel sources installed? You don't need them anymore,
remove them.

See that /usr is mounted read-only NOTHING should be added to /usr on a
once operating system.
From `man hier`
/usr This directory is usually mounted from a separate
partition. It should hold only sharable, read-only
data, so that it can be mounted by various machines
running Linux.

As a temporary solution, you can do the following:
1) look with du -h --max-depth=1 /usr what the largest directory is
(Asume it is /usr/local)
2) make a directory /home/usr/local
3) copy all from /usr/local lo /home/usr/local
4) rename /usr/local to /usr/local_backup
5) symlink /home/usr/local to /usr/local

Again, /usr should be mounted read-only, so nothing is added.
--
houghi Please do not toppost http://houghi.org
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF,

  • Re: How to clean up the file system?
    ... Merlin wrote: ... I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. ... know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than 1 MB? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: How to clean up the file system?
    ... I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. ... know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than 1 MB? ... once operating system. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: How to clean up the file system?
    ... I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. ... know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than ... crawl a directory for files that are bigger than 1 MB e.g. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • How to clean up the file system?
    ... I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. ... know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than 1 MB? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • RE: Can`t logoff from Server
    ... If you still want to restart or shut down the computer, ... When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, ... Microsoft Windows Server 2003 on the list that is displayed, ...