Re: How to clean up the file system?

Merlin wrote:

Hi there,

I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. Does somebody
know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than
1 MB? I usually use ls -h to see the filesize of each file within a
directory.

What I do not know how to do is:
1. find out the complete file size of a directory including all files
belonging to it.
2. crawl a directory for files that are bigger than 1 MB e.g.

Somehow my filesystem is almost full. Especially hda5. No idea how that
swoll up to almost 100%. The server starts crashing once 100% are reached.
I had this 2 times. But I can not find files that I can delete within /usr

Here is the df -h output:

/dev/hda1 510M 181M 303M 38% /
/dev/hda5 4.9G 4.7G 245M 96% /usr
/dev/hda6 4.9G 310M 4.6G 7% /var