Re: How to clean up the file system?

Merlin wrote:

Hi there,

I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. Does somebody
know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than
1 MB? I usually use ls -h to see the filesize of each file within a
directory.

What I do not know how to do is:
1. find out the complete file size of a directory including all files
belonging to it.
2. crawl a directory for files that are bigger than 1 MB e.g.

Somehow my filesystem is almost full. Especially hda5. No idea how that
swoll up to almost 100%. The server starts crashing once 100% are reached.
I had this 2 times. But I can not find files that I can delete within /usr

Here is the df -h output:

/dev/hda1 510M 181M 303M 38% /
/dev/hda5 4.9G 4.7G 245M 96% /usr
/dev/hda6 4.9G 310M 4.6G 7% /var
/dev/hda7 63G 52G 11G 84% /home
tmpfs 501M 5.4M 496M 2% /tmp
tmpfs 20M 0 20M 0% /dev/shm

Thank you for any advice,

Merlin

cd /directory/you/want/to search.

For example: cd /home

Then:

find -size +1M

  • Re: How to clean up the file system?
    ... I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. ... know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than 1 MB? ... once operating system. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: How to clean up the file system?
    ... Merlin wrote: ... I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. ... know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than 1 MB? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: How to clean up the file system?
    ... I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. ... know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than 1 MB? ... once operating system. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • How to clean up the file system?
    ... I am trying to clean up the files not needed on my server. ... know what the command is to find files on the system that are bigger than 1 MB? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: dcdiag - advertising errors on newley promoted domain controller
    ... Can you do the following on uksccmads01 ... The problem may actually have nothing to do with the new server but the ... From a command prompt try and see if you get any additional info ... Skipping site UK-CCM, this site is outside the scope ...