Re: Gnome vs. KDE - is this true?

Rick wrote:
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:22:56 +0300, Vahis wrote:

Dr_Freeman wrote:
It really depends on what kind of traditional OS you are used to. if you
love mac... then your best bet is gnome. but if you've migrated from
windows and are used to its setup... kde is the way to go. i prefer kde
myself. but thats probably just because i always had windows before
linux. SuSE includes both on the disk....but i do the FULL install. its
a lot bigger, but it has a lot more stuff. if u dont do the detailed
selection on install...you can only have one at a time.

Your post looks as if you were either answering to some question or giving
some advise.

In either case you are giving disinformation.

Vahis

What disinformation would that be?

1) Ex-Mac users love Gnome
2) Ex-Windows users love KDE
3) It is written as SuSE

So to answer:
1) Ex-Mac users do not always love Gnome. I know Ex-Mac users who
strictly run CLI or a minimal X if needed.
2) Ex-Windows users do not always love KDE. I am an ex-Windows user and
one of the reasons I left Windows was the screen layout. Why would I
want to have something that looks like something I dislike?
3) Well, DUH. :-)

So the part where you decide what people like or dislike is
disinformation. There is only one correct answer and that is to figure
it out.

As a sidenote, why run a full installed system? Do you have all the
services running that you have installed? Most likely not, so why have
them installed? If yes, do you use them all? Because if you don't, you
can increase the speed a lot by at least turning the services off that
you don't need.

And if you REALLY want a full install, add ALL additionall repo's and
install those all as well. ;-)
--
houghi Please do not toppost http://houghi.org
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF,

  • Re: Newbie needs help with SUSE 9.1
    ... I think there is a setting in KDE Control Center somewhere that let's ... frustrating because there are some really nice features in Linux. ... I thought I'd install some tools that I ... serving Windows boxes from your Linux box. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Re: Newbie needs help with SUSE 9.1
    ... I thought I'd install some tools that I ... >serving Windows boxes from your Linux box. ... >> installed, I need to know kernel info, KDE vs GNU, etc. ... My experience with Windows has taught me never to try ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [kde] kde Digest, Vol 88, Issue 12
    ... [kde] Beginner problems - installation google earth ...  I changed from Windows XP to kubuntu 10.04. ... F,e, earth is downloaded nd I try to Install. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: how long is installation time
    ... long KDE takes to start on a 486dx4, ... install and 15 minutes or so for it to start... ... a light windows manager. ... > But as I wanted to get graphics advantage, I choosed to add KDE tools, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: KDE peculiarities and questions
    ... laptop, have Etch, which uses KDE 3.5.5. ... and possibly other parts of the Gnome ... My first task was to install Etch ...
    (Debian-User)