Linux Newbie.

Hi all. First post on this NG. I've finally moved over to Linux (Suse 9.3), after my ailing XP laptop finally gave up the ghost.

Anyway, i've managed to get it installed and running on my box, without major problems. And first impressions are very good. Certainly a major improvement in terms of fucntionalltiy!

My question (and this DOES sound stupid), if i need to install programs and place an icon on the desktop, how do i do it? Am i right in thinking that it's a different process than with Windows.

TIA for any help given.

Best regards.
.