Re: OSS versus non-oss of 10.1

ac wrote:
Who Cares wrote:
Robert Hull wrote:

In alt.os.linux.suse, on Wed 17 May 2006 23:32, Who Cares
<ddorman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Will I find a difference between the 2 flavors.
What two flavours? There is only one SUSE Linux 10.1 for whichever
architecture. The software that is not open source is on the optional
6th CD.

I may be absolutly wrong. but does the OSS version not have all of the
development code? I am in no way shape or form am a programmer. I just do
not want to use Microsoft anymore. 10 and 10.1 works perfectly for me.
The suse 10.1(final) is the 'released version' and it comes on 6 CDs. CD 6 only has proprietary software (such as realplayer etc) - that is - NON open source software, while CDs 1 through 5 only contain open source licencsed software. THe distribution conditions are different for CD 6. Personally I am happy to use such programs at present, but it is better for the open source community to develop and use only non proprietary alternatives if posible I think.

Suse 10.1 is complete with 'development' applications, if you mean compiler, and the like.

However, if you want to live even closer to the cutting edge of the changing Linux scene, the 'Open' Suse organisation allows you to also download the current latest non released (experimental) version - 10.2 which is not yet proven to be fully stable and you would use this if you actually wanted to be part of the active and open developmet activity.

I am downloading the DVD iso at the moment form a folder:

/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-dvd-iso/

With a name like that for a path I can well understand the confusion. The filename is still Suse-Linux-10.1-GM-DVD-i386.iso which is very much like the eval dvd of 10.0 was. So, is this DVD iso the 6 cds plus packages as it normally is or ??

Jim

--
Linux Websites Links http://myweb.cableone.net/okieman7/linux.htm

  • Re: what to do after "Touretzkeys book"?
    ... IBM has some Linux hackers, ... see what your point is and how you discount IBM's open source contributions. ... or some kernel device driver... ... generated by people who are paid to do the hacking. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Red Hat: Open Source News (fwd)
    ... Red Hat Open Source News ... To challenge the dominance of Microsoft's Windows PC operating system, ... Japan is promoting the Linux system in public schools. ... Open Source Law: Open source and the IT trade deficit ...
    (comp.os.linux.announce)
  • Re: Check that out: THe Bottom Line: Software and copyright
    ... Undisclosed source code did NOT originate with Microsoft. ... to get Adobe Photoshop to work on Linux. ... Open source can be a misnomer, but in general, open source is a product of ... SCO can't be sold short ... ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: Check that out: THe Bottom Line: Software and copyright
    ... Undisclosed source code did NOT originate with Microsoft. ... to get Adobe Photoshop to work on Linux. ... Open source can be a misnomer, but in general, open source is a product of ... SCO can't be sold short ... ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... Because India has the lowest per capita GDP? ... So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... Developers can take an Open Source product and build on it, and that's great, but a couple of issues: i) They still have to target an environment; ii) none of the products providing real revenue to corporations today are Open Source. ... The Novel Linux integrates the Linux kernel product with other propreitary products to come up with a new derived product. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)