Re: new to SuSE Linux 10.0

TIS ME wrote:
I am new to SuSE Linux. I need to know where to learn the basics. I
do not even know how to be a Super-user. If any one could help out
with a little info to get me started. thanx

Welcome!

be aware that super user (or 'root' user) is more powerful in many ways than admin in windoze. When I began a couple of years ago, from a 'captive' windoze background that had prepared me well to accept re-installs whenever necessary. The good news was that my linux novice enthusiasm and ambition with root privileges gave me a number of opportunities to use that experience. The even better news was that suse installed really very quickly, apps included.

For the record (see note 1), reboot, and sign in as user 'root', using the root password. Now realise that you are probably the only person on the planet doing it that way! and sign out quickly. It is dangerous!

Note 1:
It is usual to use carefully limited and targeted root priviliges for example starting with the suse menu (I use KDE), choose
System
YAST
(Sign in as super user - SU)
(and have a look around, for example - )
Network Devices
Network card
(etc etc etc)

FWIW In my home system for some reason this SU approach does not work as described above unless I have set up the network card to use a fixed IP address (with nominated nameserver addresses), probably something to do with my router which I have not bothered to follow up - I prefer fixed IP anyway.

Have fun!
--
ac

  • RE: software to control domain administrators
    ... there has to be a "super user" procedure of some sort ... The application itself runs as the user "root" and can be configured by ... application allows any properly configured user to run a command as ... (i.e. Applications can be run as the "domain admin" without ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: new to SuSE Linux 10.0
    ... be aware that super user (or 'root' user) is more powerful in many ways ... The even better news was that suse ... The Jem Report for SUSE 10.1, has a great write up on Intel video drivers ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: super user password?
    ... I have installed Ubuntu on my machine but at the Terminal I cannot ... login as super user by issuing 'su - root'. ... When you "sudo command" at least in the audit logs, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ssh to root
    ... some other host and I get a prompt with super user privs... ... have set this up for user@host for root and ssh host for normal users... ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: new to SuSE Linux 10.0
    ... be aware that super user is more powerful in many ways ... enthusiasm and ambition with root privileges gave me a number of ... FWIW In my home system for some reason this SU approach does not work as ... described above unless I have set up the network card to use a fixed IP ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)