Re: my little network

In alt.os.linux.suse, on Fri 26 May 2006 12:22, peter j norris
<magicpeter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steve wrote:

peter j norris wrote:
hi i can't access the internet with my other computers
i have tried with yast and everytime i try while it is online as
well it drops the connection to the internet when i start up the
computer i see it
says eth0 192.168.0.1:24 ok

As a start, run ifconfig as root and post the results. Should give a
little more idea on where the problem might be.
this is what ifconfig said
ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:61:79:18:A8
inet6 addr: fe80::20d:61ff:fe79:18a8/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500
Metric:1 RX packets:2541 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
frame:0 TX packets:129 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:188052 (183.6 Kb) TX bytes:18576 (18.1 Kb)

Could you do it again, please, and this time cut & paste the results so
that we can see the line that starts "inet addr:" and that should come
just after the "Link encap:" line

It might also be useful to see the equivalent information for the other
computers, in case you have two using the same IP address.

--
Robert
This information provided free of charge for those willing to accept

  • Re: my little network
    ... i have tried with yast and everytime i try while it is online as well it ... drops the connection to the internet when i start up the computer i see ... run ifconfig as root and post the results. ... UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Internet connection
    ... > Check that your card is recognized with ifconfig. ... Windows IP Configuration ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Bash script to see if PPP link is up...
    ... >>interface appears in ifconfig, but it is not connected until there is ... > If the connection is up, then I get the full info and the exit code is 0. ... way to determine if pppd has established an internet connection. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Bash script to see if PPP link is up...
    ... >>I have invited Alan Connor to resume the discussion on PPP link state ... > connection was established and would go down when connection was lost. ... Even if ifconfig shows the existance of ppp0, if IPCP negotiation fails, the ... > (whether connected due to demand, or disconnected due to idle timeout). ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: [opensuse] Script to check interface & restart network service
    ... suffices and doesn't need bash. ... You can also check for the interface (with ifconfig or ip link show), ... connection. ...
    (SuSE)