Updating Open office

Yesterday, I noticed that OpenOffice has an update available to v.1.03
After downloading the package and unzipping and untarring it, I decided to
do a "clean install" so deleted my present v1.02 Open Office and the
associated "OpenOffice_org-gnome" and "OpenOffice_org-kde" packages.
Perhaps this was a mistake? I did the install from the RPM sub-directory,
but then discovered that I had no entries in my KMenu for OpenOffice.
Fine, I'll just put them back from the original CD. When I did this, it
gave me an error message which told me of an incompatibility, so I checked
the recommended place, and it proceeded to uninstall v1.03, and put back
v1.02!!!

This morning, my friendly Zen Update reminder told me that there were four
updates for OpenOffice, and I told it to go ahead. After a lengthy
download and installation, I still show that I am running v1.02???
Did I cause this by my uninstall of the earlier version. If so, is there a
way to get v1.03 back, and have it appear on the KDE and Gnome menus?

Thanks,

Godzilla
.