Re: Discover machines on local network

The carbonbased lifeform dk inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
Is there a quick and simple way to discover what machines might be connected
on a local network? This is actually for a plot point in a novel I'm
writing.

A character breaks into a server room. She can see 10 servers in a rack plus
a desktop machine. The desktop machine is running Linux. What's the easiest
way for her to discover the IP of that machine? (I assume she's not got
root access, so can't run ifconfig). And what's the easiest way to find the
IPs of the other machines? Nmap? Just pinging addresses in the same range
as the desktop machine? Or is there an easier way?

Everyone here asumes that this Linux box runs without any screen-lock,
so anybody can get to do whatever they want right away.
Most unlikely in a serverroom.

you'll first have to work out a *believable* way to circumvent or
override e.g. 'xlock', something that would probably require some sort of
social engineering on one of the sysadmins.

Theo
--
theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  • Re: What is prisoner.iana.org?
    ... Is the lack of an in-addr.arpa zone going to cause my desktop machine to ... >> server DNS/prisoner.iana.org. ... > for a private address that the DNS server can't handle. ...
  • Re: I dont need an MTA
    ... I've been using Debian at ... Anyone running X is running a server even though a "desktop machine" ... Back to exim, if i have X i have x11-common ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Backing up a Web
    ... OTOH, when one inherits a Web developed my someone over the horizon into the past with nothing but a URL and a logon, editing on the server seems very convenient. ... form now on if ever asked I'll recommend Publishing to a desktop machine and working in the more correct manner. ...
  • Re: server security :: user accounts, ssh, passphrases, etc.
    ... ftp or http server in the DMZ ... desktop machine in the LAN from which the sysop maintains the ... Is there a major or unreasonable security risk if the sysop ...
    (Debian-User)
  • SSH, remote X-applications and 9.1
    ... one a headless server running SuSE 8.2 Pro and the other a ... desktop machine which I've just upgraded from 8.2 Pro to 9.1 Pro. ... I was able to ssh from the desktop machine onto ... should always check on these changes when upgrading versions of OpenSSH. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)