Re: Dual booting Suse linux and mandriva

Kevin Nathan wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 07:56:06 -0400
guy <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

3) Copying the first 512 bytes of the disk to a file

You need to be *very* careful with this step. It's safest to copy only
the first 446 bytes, because the next 64 bytes are the partition
table (and the last two bytes are an ID -- 55AA). If you save all 512
bytes, and then make any changes to partition table, then later you
copy this file back, you've just trashed your partitions.

Something to keep in mind . . .

Thanks - did not realize this!

guy

  • Re: Dual booting Suse linux and mandriva
    ... You need to be *very* careful with this step. ... It's safest to copy only ... bytes, and then make any changes to partition table, then later you ... Open minds. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Changing the partition on my hard drive
    ... I'd be more worried about a Windows utility than I ... Boot to the floppy then CANCEL the installation. ... into Maintenance Mode where you can access Partition Work. ... be careful if I try any third-party solutions. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Securing Fedora Core 4
    ... paths should be careful using it) ... Subject: Securing Fedora Core 4 ... Also consider a separate /var partition (/var/tmp is just as dangerous ... Unusually high disk or cpu activity will show up there and ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: GRUB and fstab when copying partitions
    ... On Friday 07 October 2005 04:52 Kevin Nathan wrote: ... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about the boot ... so you have the correct partition mounted at boot. ... Still hdb5 as /? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Making partition bigger
    ... My question was "what is best and safest," asked where, assumedly, ... A line in an advertisement tells me ... Partition Magic is about the most reliable and easiest to ... makes a partition manager as do a few other companies such as BootItNG ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)