KDE backup ('Keep')

I have discovered KDE backup app 'Keep' and it looked as if it was
exactly what I really wanted. Simple gui and clever backup (based on
rdiff-backup I think).

After initial use and a couple of experiments, I think it is not
working properly, although if it is a bug, it is a very obvious one, so
I begin to doubt my own understanding of it. Maybe it is something I am
doing wrong.

I am using suse 10.0, and afaik Keep is not included in the distro, but
I got it from guru.
the Keep version I have is 0.3.0-2.guru.suse100i686

My use is for backup a frequency of '1 day', deleted after (say) 3 days.
The results indicate that backups are being done each hour, not each
day. This is the primary problem I have.

For me personally, I could probably work out how to do something
equivalent using rdiff-backup and cron - although it is not quite my
scene - however, I have other, less computer literate people (family,
friends etc) as users of their own suse's, and it is such a perfect app
(if it works) that I want to check out my understanding.

Comments would be appreciated

tia
--
ac

  • Re: Storage server
    ... using rdiff-backup or obnam? ... I don't know a reason why someone should avoid rsnapshot. ... is very similar to rsnapshot but handles the backup generations ... will save you a lot of diskspace doing so (which is for me the biggest ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Storage server
    ... using rdiff-backup or obnam? ... I don't know a reason why someone should avoid rsnapshot. ... is very similar to rsnapshot but handles the backup generations ... will save you a lot of diskspace doing so (which is for me the biggest ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: rdiff-backup question
    ... Borrowed some wisdom from the extensive rdiff-backup man page. ... directory in addition to the backup command. ... you can also execute the command on your ... In your case, if you delete a file, you won't be able to restore it ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Backup Up On Unreliable Link
    ... No response so far on the rdiff-backup mail list. ... rdiff-backup fails in the middle of a backup it regresses to the last backup ... If you are running this across an unreliable link ... you could consistently have a partial backup. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] the cp command
    ... There's already a package (available in SuSE 10.0 and, ... Two packages: there is also rsnapshot: ... # required is just a little more than the space of one full backup, ... I don't know the difference between rsnapshot and rdiff-backup ...
    (SuSE)