Does Linux Support ATA PCI or Raid Controller Cards Out-of-the-box?

I intend to set up an old 1 GHz Pentium 3 as a dual boot with Windows and
Linux. I intend to install a hard drive larger than 137 GB and need a way
around this limit. There is no BIOS update available that will support 48
bit LBA. I could use driver overlay software but this will only fix the
problem in Windows. I think the best option is an ATA PCI card. Can anyone
confirm that one of these card will work with Linux and if a driver has to
be loaded separately?

.