Re: video editing recommendations?

On 2006-08-08 12:27, Taco wrote:
Any recommendations for video editing software on linux?
No, not the 1 billion dollar stuff, just freeware.
Taco

Try kino, you can install it from the cd , but I use the pacman build
kino-0.9.0-1.pm.2, I think they differ a bit.

I't not easy to make movies with linux yet, it's getting better but
it's still a lot of problems you must solve by yourself.

For example when I open my camera and download the dv stream, it can hang
kino and the firewire shannel at the end of the tape, and I must do things in
panik before I get the camera connected and get kino to take my commands.

So I avoid it by using a script with dvcnt and dvgrab instead.

Try to avoid reiserfs for video files, I have a 250GB xfs partition for that.

When testing programs, most of them just crash or are impossible to figure out,
but when you find all your tools, things will be easy, and you can work effective.

1. connect the camera, run one script.
2. While your clips is coming in, drag them to kino and do cutting, fading and so on
3. Generate output- dv,vcd,dvd,flash or whatever
4. while waiting, start another kino and work with next part or movie.

To make it simple, create your dv files with year,month,day and 24hour time
like dvgrab --autosplit --timestamp clip-
and your files will be named as:
clip-2006.06.10_19-18-00.avi
clip-2006.06.10_19-18-32.avi
clip-2006.06.10_19-19-32.avi
clip-2006.06.10_19-21-14.avi
clip-2006.06.10_19-24-44.avi
clip-2006.06.10_19-25-38.avi

Then it's easy to select a cluster of files and drag them to kino,
and they will be inserted in the right order.

/birre

  • Re: ieee1394 in 2.6.20-rc1 (was Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc1)
    ... but junked it when it couldn't be made to talk to this camera. ... I suppose Kino is exporting DV via raw1394 nowadays too. ... It starts the tape rolling while its doing this preparatory ... Next tab is Stills, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Two questions for the road videographers here: Mounts and software
    ... If you can power up you laptop, then you can power the camera via a USB port. ... The Aiptek gets pretty good mileage out of rechargables. ... Your windscreen needs to be warm to get it to stick properly, an alternate trick would be to wet it down with really hot water or use a hand dryer on it so as to increase the flexibility of the suction cup. ... I'd suggest getting Kubuntu and using apt to install Kino. ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: VCDs and linux
    ... Then I found a program called 'kino' which can upload from the camera ... Next time I take a tripod, and possibly a boom microphone for better ... Copyright 2005 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: fc5 - kino-8.0 Q?
    ... I got curious because I'm needing to get a wedding vcd made, installed kino and as much of the support stuff as I could remember for importing from a Sony TRM-460 digital hi-8 movie camera. ... Kino, in its preferences, cannot find the controlling device as none are shown in the multiselector bar for that function. ... That leaves udev, as in its not automaticly creating the device, and whose name I haven't the foggiest. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fc5 - kino-8.0 Q?
    ... As I think it may be udev related, ... I got curious because I'm needing to get a wedding vcd made, installed kino and as much of the support stuff as I could remember for importing from a Sony TRM-460 digital hi-8 movie camera. ... Kino, in its preferences, cannot find the controlling device as none are shown in the multiselector bar for that function. ...
    (Fedora)