Re: Install 10.1 - always this slow? Maybe net?

houghi wrote:

Albert wrote:
Tried to download first cd of 10.1 from opensuse.com site. I have 2500
kbps DSL and wget says it will take over 2 hours? Are the Suse servers
always this slow? Are there mirrors?

openSUSE.com? I asume you mean something like:

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/iso/SUSE-Linux-10.1-GM-i386-CD1.iso

Yes.

That should point you to a mirror.

I see the link now.... way at bottom of page.

Also mirrors are available on
http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version so you can directly point to a
mirror you know will be faster.

Curious. If you choose a non-USA/non-English mirror (say one in Germany) do
you get a non-English version of OpenSuse 10.1?

download.opensuse.org will try to
estimate the best solution.

What I do is I open 3 downloads at the same time. Some mirrors are not
as fast as I could go. That way I can download from three different
mirrors.

You mean 3 wgets of the same iso or do you DL 3 different iso files at same
time?

As you use wget, do wget -c URL and do a CTRL-C and restart when you hit
a slower mirror. You might get a faster one.

Good idea. Thanks. I never used the -c before.

How long would a net install be for a "full-bore" KDE desktop system with
Firefox, multimedia, etc.? Any ideas or a guess?

About the same time, perhaps a bit shorter.

Thought so. It was that way with the net install of Debian Etch. Took
forever!

albert

  • Wget, curl, Yum :it was [Strange things in Yum]]
    ... failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: No more mirrors to try. ... Couldn't resolve host 'download.fedora.redhat.com' ... where eth0 is the internal network and eth1 is the external network to ADSL modem ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Signals and system
    ... > My python program needs to download a number of files. ... > as a list of mirrors of that file. ... I am using system to run wget. ... > any signals, so that the user doesn't need to repetitively press Ctrl-C ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Strange things in Yum
    ... failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: No more mirrors to try. ... Posta con Thunderbird 1.0.6 Navigazione con Firefox 1.0.6 ...
    (Fedora)
  • Signals and system
    ... My python program needs to download a number of files. ... The mechanism is in a loop, so that it will try all the mirrors while wget is exiting with a non-zero exit status. ... The call to system returns the same status code, indicating that wget failed, but the program has no knowledge that it was a signal the killed wget, rather than a failed download, and as such it tries the next mirror. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Strange things in Yum
    ... failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: No more mirrors to try. ... Output is in Italian, but fallito means failed!!! ... Linux Fedora Core 4 on Maxdata Eco 3200 ...
    (Fedora)