Re: Recognizing and formatting a USB disk drive

scott wrote:
Vahis wrote:
scott wrote:
I purchased a hard drive enclosure which allows you to plug in a
regular hard drive and the enclosure allows you to plug the hard drive
into a USB port. The result is having a hard drive plugged into a USB
port and have it act like a regular hard drive. Under SuSE Linux 9.0 it
used to inform me that such a hard drive was plugged in. Under SuSE
Linux 10.0 I get no such notification. Is there some setting to turn on
notifications? Also, How do I go about formatting such a drive?

Thanks!

$ dmesg | grep SCSI

What does that return?

What does MyComputer tell you about the drive? Is it there?

Vahis
In performing the "dmesg | grep SCSI" command, nothing is returned. If
I click on the "MyComputer" icon, the device is not there. Note I am
using a USB mouse and that works fine.

Scott

Obviously your HD is either not connected properly in the
enclosure or that is not properly connecting to the USB port.
Or it does not have power.

Does the HD start to spin when connected?
Does it blink its led?
Does it have power? HD need external power.

Have you got something else to stick in, like a card reader or a
memory stick? If you do try dmesg | grep SCSI with that.

Vahis
--
Sometimes I reply to top posters. Seldom. And usually just once.
http://waxborg.servepics.com/English/Linux/SUSE.10.1/suse10.1.html

  • Re: Recognizing and formatting a USB disk drive
    ... enclosure or that is not properly connecting to the USB port. ... Or it does not have power. ... The drive does spin and the access light does flicker. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Power to external USB drive via USB charger?
    ... I also have an iPod USB power adaptor which quotes output 5-12 1A max. ... drives consume less than the 5W that is available from a single USB port. ... My concern was to do with connecting two power supplies together - sounds like something to avoid. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: flash drive pulled early = Blue Screen Of Death!
    ... I have a Toshiba Tecra M2V-S310 laptop PC with Windows XP. ... inserted a friend's flash drive into my USB port to drag something from ... experiencing external USB HDD problems for no apparent reasons. ... had an IDE HDD installed in an external enclosure which seemed to work ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: hard drive recovery..
    ... files and it never occurred to back them up, pretty stupid, but its too late to go back and do that now. ... All he was doing was using the drive in the enclosure and it was plugged into the USB port. ... cool and then offload the important files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Cant open User files on New XP OS
    ... I have a notebook hard drive now in an exteranl ... enclosure now on a new PC with XP thru a USB port. ...