Re: Where is ifconfig in SuSe 10.1?

houghi wrote:
David Bolt wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Klaus Meister <Kl1971@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-

Hi,

I cannot find the ifconfig command to find out my IP address.
Have you looked in /sbin?

Is this command changed in 10.1???
No. When logged in as root, you should only need to use "ifconfig"
whereas as a normal user, you need to us /sbin/ifconfig instead. BTW,
this is exactly the same as with previous versions.

If you use this often as a user, there are several ways to solve this. I
will give two reasonably save ways:
1) Make an alias "alias sbin='/sbin/ifconfig'. I am not sure if the
deault ~/.bashrc looks in ~/.alias, but that is where I have my aliases
placed.
2) ln -s /sbin/ifconfig /usr/local/bin/ifconfig

I have done the last for traceroute.

The first is ideal for one user, the second for all users.

houghi
Interesting - I just make a symbolic link into /usr/bin for programs
that I want to use when logged in as me.

  • Re: Removing All Of Gnome
    ... houghi wrote: ... btw, big Zappa fan here... ... his music> his politics:^) ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Suse 9.2 Still Not Ready for PrimeTime
    ... > houghi wrote: ... >> My experience with SUSE: http://houghi.org ... > BTW, Nice web site! ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: no sound after update to 9.3
    ... BTW, Houghi, did you have the solution about this Nosound problem on your ... >> This message is in MIME format. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Question concerning Suse upgrades.
    ... What does ubh stand for btw? ... Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?" ... Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?" ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Howto: How do I add to my path
    ... houghi wrote: ... can run ifconfig and others with out constantly typing /sbin/ifconfig. ... won't be able to run anything in sbin as a normal user. ... Linux Website Links http://myweb.cableone.net/okieman7/linux.htm ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)