Re: Back to 10.0 for me

After serious contemplation, on or about Tuesday 29 August 2006 11:26 am
Michael Henry perhaps from Michael.K.Henry@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

You seem to be saying "There will always be problems with performing
an upgrade so just get used to doing a re-install when you want to
upgrade". That's a really defeatist attitude - I have absolutely no
doubt that the upgrade could be made painless and reliable if the
people who manage these distros decided that should be a priority.
Should it be a priority? As I said above, I don't think Linux will be
a viable competitor to Windows until it is.

You sound new to Windows. The only viable way to upgrade on a Windows
machine is a complete re-format and new installation. At least twice a
week I run across a customer that has really quirky problems because
they at one point in time bought an upgrade version of MS Windows and
installed it over a former version.

And alas, if one has to do a clean Windows installation (and they
should) there is no easy way to preserve all their data because every
MS application puts data and files wherever it wants to and unlike
Linux that will put data somewhere in /home. Occassionally I do run
across a customer who knows enough about specifying a target
destination for files (if the application allows it) and puts it
somewhere in the Documents and Settings Folder.

This problem is especially true of downloaded files in the MS OS.

Your mileage may differ, but I work on customers' computers all day long
(well really all night long because I go to people's homes) and get to
see more borked computers.

--
Later,
Darrell Stec darstec@xxxxxxxxxx

Webpage Sorcery
http://webpagesorcery.com
We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  • Re: Old computer with little memory...bigger page file help?
    ... hardware is the cause of the slow/poor functioning of the pc. ... Windows 98 runs on any and all combinations of FAT32, ... an upgrade installation to XP ...
  • Re: upgrading to windows xp professional upgrade error
    ... I tested WinXP on a 500 MHz ... select "Windows Classic." ... download and run Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any ... HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Fresh install
    ... As a computer technician, you'd already know that the WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software application compatibility. ... Granted, many uninformed people do recommend that one always perform a clean installation, rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. ... One would save a lot of time by upgrading a PC to WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if there're no hardware or software incompatibilities. ... Microsoft has greatly improved (over earlier versions of Windows) WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade an earlier OS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How can I upgrade to xp via group policy?
    ... The WinXP upgrade ... Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit: ... > point I get an error msg "The installation source path specified in Setup ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: upgrading to windows xp professional upgrade error
    ... The pc has an 8 gig scsi hard drive, basically I have all my hardware (pro ... and passed the upgrade advisor. ... >> I purchased a copy of windows xp professional upgrade and I'm upgrading ... > HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)