Re: video card

Paul T. wrote:
I currently have a ATI RV280 Radeon card. This card will not do 1280x1024
with 16 million colors.
Looking for recommendations for a new card at will do 16 million colors
at 1280x1024 that will work with Suse Linux.

Paul T.

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

I like Nvidia cards.
I own an old Ti4600, a 6600GT (AGP) and a 7600GT (PCIe)

My laptop has a mobile Quadro 1400 at 1920x1200 and 16 million colors.
I have run the 6600GT at that res as well as the 7600GT, but my
normal at home monitor is 1280x1024.

I usually use the Nvidia binary-only (evil) driver... works well... not
sure if the open-free nv driver does 24-bits. I'd have to check (I
think it does though).

To get the Nvidia driver I think you need the kernel sources installed
and then you can run the tiny-nvidia-installer.sh -update to pull
down the Nvidia driver and build, etc. I usually do:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make cloneconfig
# make prepare-all

Before executing tiny-nvidia-installer.sh (or you can run the
driver install script straight from Nvidia if on an older SUSE).

After install:

# sax2 -m 0=nvidia

And do any tweaking from there....

You may have to repeat when new kernel updates are performed. If
you're satisfied with the nv driver, you pretty much
don't have to do anything (I figure why have a powerful card
if you're not going to REALLY use its capabilities...).

.