Re: video card

Paul T. wrote:
I currently have a ATI RV280 Radeon card. This card will not do 1280x1024
with 16 million colors.
Looking for recommendations for a new card at will do 16 million colors
at 1280x1024 that will work with Suse Linux.

Paul T.

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

I like Nvidia cards.
I own an old Ti4600, a 6600GT (AGP) and a 7600GT (PCIe)

My laptop has a mobile Quadro 1400 at 1920x1200 and 16 million colors.
I have run the 6600GT at that res as well as the 7600GT, but my
normal at home monitor is 1280x1024.

I usually use the Nvidia binary-only (evil) driver... works well... not
sure if the open-free nv driver does 24-bits. I'd have to check (I
think it does though).

To get the Nvidia driver I think you need the kernel sources installed
and then you can run the tiny-nvidia-installer.sh -update to pull
down the Nvidia driver and build, etc. I usually do:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make cloneconfig
# make prepare-all

Before executing tiny-nvidia-installer.sh (or you can run the
driver install script straight from Nvidia if on an older SUSE).

After install:

# sax2 -m 0=nvidia

And do any tweaking from there....

You may have to repeat when new kernel updates are performed. If
you're satisfied with the nv driver, you pretty much
don't have to do anything (I figure why have a powerful card
if you're not going to REALLY use its capabilities...).

  • RE: [SLE] Video problems -- new card, cant configure, Sax2 wont run (very long message, sorry)
    ... yes you should go ahead and dl the nvidia driver from the nvidia ... Video problems -- new card, can't configure, Sax2 won't run ... and monitor configuration screens within the control center are not ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Another "What Motherboard Should I Buy" question
    ... If I've got two or three torrents downloading and some other process running in the background, I may wait 20 or 30 seconds for the window to open. ... I think it may be the generic OS Radeon driver. ... Firewire ports for my video camera (PCI card is okay here) ... since nVidia has native Linux drivers. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3
    ... Driver: 275.09.07 ... It's not quite the same card as yours, ... The last time I did a full install was with Fedora 10. ... Drivers from NVidia ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How to remove a service from the system?
    ... If yur not using the Nvidia card anymore I can't imagine any need for the ... >>> Would it be safe to just delete the Driver Helper Service and the DLLS ... Yet the Driver Helper Service remains in the Services ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: [SLE] Latest NVidia (4496)
    ... I just gave up on the new 4496 nVidia driver. ... >>strong feeling that my next video card will have nothing to do with nVidia. ... then I'll try pasting my Monitor config into it. ...
    (SuSE)