Re: SUSE, (and other Linux), and Windows

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:06:58 +0000, VWWall wrote:

I hear SUSE is going back to ext3 as a default file system.

Where did you hear that? References please.

  • Re: SUSE, (and other Linux), and Windows
    ... I hear SUSE is going back to ext3 as a default file system. ... References please. ... People who want ReiserFS will have to do an extra ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
    ... wouldn't it be an ext3 bug? ... many naive filesystem designers make is that writes succeed or they ... This will obviously cause a write failure, ... No file system will recover that data although you might be able to scrape out some remaining useful bits and bytes. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: want to speed up laptop
    ... Nearly hit all points on my laptop, ext3 plus ... But I'm not good at tuning the file system. ... There are several factors which combine to hurt overall disk ... Assuming the laptop is reliable, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Slow ruby regexes
    ... I don't know about proposed plans for the regexp engine for ruby, ... with one of our sys admins who wanted to use the Riser FS rather than Ext3 as ... the file system on a new server. ... was that file system performance was not a significant bottleneck for the ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: HardBound and SoftBound
    ... Before ext3, any competent developer understood that until you fsynced a file none of its modifications were guaranteed to be on disk - and most of them understood that this clearly meant that if you renamed a file to overwrite a different file without such an fsync then a crash could leave you with an empty renamed file because metadata updates often were forced to disk faster than content updates. ... And so a lot of incompetent developers just stopped including the fsync, blithely ignoring the fact that this would cause their code to break in any environment *other* than ext3 in this default configuration (i.e., any situation where a different file system was in use or even just one where ext3 was configured to place performance first). ... Along came ext4 and with several other major improvements it fixed the unintentional behavior of ext3, thereby exposing all those relatively recent incompetently-written applications to their just deserts. ...
    (comp.arch)