Re: Nice comments on Suse and MS

Bob Adams wrote:
In message <45632c8e$28$fuzhry+tra$mr2ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Shmuel
(Seymour J.) Metz" <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Linus can use whatever license he chooses. Neither FSF nor Novell has
any say in the matter. However, if Linus switches to GPL3 or critical
pieces of SuSE switch to GPL3, then Novell will have to either switch to
GPL3 or fork the relevant code. Novell can only afford to do the latter if a
significant fraction of the open source community agrees with its
objections to GPL3.

We really need to fork this puppy, IMHO.

I keep seeing this word (phrase?) "fork" constantly lately. Can somebody
please tell me what it means in the OS context?

While many consider Linux to be Linux... SUSE engineers (mostly done
prior to the Novell acquisition) did some really interesting and different
things to the SUSE distribution. A lot was centered around YaST, but
there are some other things as well that are beneficial.

Fork simply means a derivative work based off of the original work.
This would not necessarily be a technology fork, just one to protect
the IP a bit better. I mean we can all house SUSE today, nobody
has the exact source for SLES 10 right now though (only Novell), but
we don't merely need it housed, but also made available in a manner
that is easily built from scratch. Then... if Novell doesn't turn
around (always a possibility), then something very SUSE-like can
still be used.

I don't know... maybe it would be better to push the ideas into
some existing distro. Not sure.

  • Re: [SLE] Red Hats take:
    ... Well, Patrick, as explained before ... ... I simply do not see where this MS - Novell deal is good for Novell, Linux, ... All I can do is then to either accept or switch. ... Have you already made you mind up that SUSE is no more? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Nice comments on Suse and MS
    ... if Linus switches to GPL3 or critical ... pieces of SuSE switch to GPL3, then Novell will have to either switch to ... I keep seeing this word "fork" constantly lately. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] "Linux leaders flee Novell"...
    ... On Tuesday, May 10, 2005 09:00 am, SuSE Ground Zero wrote: ... > smoke screens from Novell. ... These SLES9 servers act essentially as competitors for, ... whereas the Novell SBS product does. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Want to learn more about 10.1 pro and cons?
    ... Novell might have time to release Suse Linux Enterprise 10 before everything is fixed. ... Suse co-founder Hubert Mantel left Novell in November following a corporate restructuring that claimed hundreds of jobs, many of them in Suse's Nuremberg headquarters. ... Two Novell executives heavily involved in Linux strategy also left the company in recent months -- vice chairman Chris Stone in November 2004 and Alan Nugent in March 2005. ... The most prominent executives remaining at Novell from the acquisitions of Suse and Ximian are Nat Friedman, vice president of Linux desktop engineering, and Miguel de Icaza, vice president for developer technologies -- both of whom came to Novell via Ximian. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: I Abandon Suse for UBUNTU - James Pannozzi Will use and develop for UBUNTU!
    ... agenda then the SuSE community who dont mind see SuSE fall anyway. ... November 2 between Novell and Microsoft and that Microsoft's subsequent ... worthy Linux distros out there, including the one I use - Debian. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)