Re: Dual boot

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:21:22 -0800, BuckMcCoy wrote:

I think that your problem could be that having two different SUSE on
the same machine is a quite strange configuration. System directories
have the same name in both installations so probably fstabs try to do
something like

I have three SUSE versions,two Mandake/Mandriva versions, PclosOS, and
Slackware on theis machine. There is nothing unusual about this
arrangement; many people do the same. The different versions do not
interfere with each other in any way. The boot loader loads one kernel,
which mounts it's own / partition. fstab load only what pertains to the
running system, unless one chooses to have the other partitions mounted in
places of ones choice, like /mnt/suse10/ or /mnt/mandrake. The other
mounted partitions are not in the $PATH, so the system does not "use" them.
They are mounted for the user's reference only.

--
imotgm
"Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  • Re: FAT32 Problems
    ... > Something may have happened to the SuSE mechanism whereby partitions are ... Your original post says you are using Suse 9.3 x86_64, ... device icon on the desktop, ... "Lost? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Blade Runner on iPlayer
    ... that partitions are corrupt and I need to run e2fsck. ... cycles I finally got it to boot so I could ssh in, ... again before I could boot clean with the new partition size. ... Only think I know for sure I've lost at the moment is The Soltaran Stratagem. ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: Manually edit partion table??
    ... removable hard drive on my in-laws pc, I lost the data. ... This can get complicated if you have extended partitions, ... more often you've repartitioned the disk (because repartitioning can leave ... were the real boot sectors and which were old). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: lost data after trying to install Ubuntu
    ... I have problems need argent help. ... I installed a 2nd HD before I try to install Ubuntu. ... I assigned 2 partitions for Ubuntu ... Anyway, my real problem now is after doing that, I lost my personal data on Fat 32 partition, HD2. ...
    (Ubuntu)