Re: putty access

On 2006-12-21 16:37, Bob Iles wrote:
Alexander Swen wrote:
Hi Bob, have you checked the following:
1. ssh daemon running (ps axf | grep ssh) if yes: try netstat -ntlp |
grep 22 and then, try iptables -L to see your firewall settings.
then see if anything is blocked (sometimes, for example on some RedHat
installs a locked icmp proto can run you into problems)
I asume that you already checked your ip config and routes and so on?

I'm sorry that I didn't mention that ssh from another system
running Knoppix works fine and the putty session prompts
for a password but then says "Access Denied" and prompts again
for the password.

Thanks for your input
bob.

I have since years back disabled password authentication
to ssh due to all bozos who is trying to login.

/etc/ssh/sshd_config:
PasswordAuthentication no

So, the only way to get in is to use the private ssh-keys.

Maybe suse 10.2 now has this as default, and in this case
you must generate keys and add your public keys to
~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the suse box.

Also check that putty send the correct user, not USER or User.
(bob , not Bob , or whatever)

There is a key agent even for putty, I know other using it,
but I never use windows, so I don't know how they set it up.

/birre
.