Re: Does Suse Suck?

David Bolt wrote:
The Windows layout doesn't bother me in the slightest. I prefer KDE for
a desktop environment, but turn off (almost) all the eye-candy. I've
recently switched all my KDE desktops to the KDE classic theme, so they
all look remarkably like I was using KDE2.

I detest it. If SUSE would not not include Windowmaker (or Enlightenment
at first) I would not be running SUSE.

I tried apt with SuSE 7.3. It wasn't really that hard to set up, but I
still wasn't comfortable with it.

Nver had a need to seriously try out apt (or its replacement smart)
because YaST did what I wanted.

I was under the impression that he felt restricted by something related
to Windows and started creating Linux because of that. Nice to know I
made a fsckup.

Lok up the history of SUSE and how he thought it was just a neat idea
that woul never catch up or do anything good. Darn those Finnish are
gullable. :-D

What Linus wanted was to be able to run (a sort of) Unix on his 386.
That is also the reason why initialy Linux did not run on 286 machines
and earlier.

That, and the fact that the 386 brought in the memory protection. Before
the 386, any runaway process could write to memory owned by other
processes.

You confuse things. Linux wrote specificaly for the 386. The reasons why
it won't run on 286 and before at first might be vaild, but they are a
result, not the cause.

Linux had a 386 so he wrote for a 386. Nothing more and nothing less.

Oh, just for the record: Linus Torvalds has said that he finds calling
Linux in general GNU/Linux "just ridiculous".

That must really please the FSF.

Well, Linus is not like RMS who thinks he inveted the universe and
everybody should listen to whatever he says. Linus, as far as I read it,
is an extreamaly realistic person, with a great sence of humor who can
relate everything. He says: "My name is Linus and I am your God.". For
me that is extremly funny.

The fact that some actualy whore-ship him is not His fault. It is
because they are unable to detect sarcasm. :-)
Some things you must read:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.minix/msg/b813d52cbc5a044b?dmode=source
Extremely nice to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvald
Some neat thing:
"His personal mascot is a penguin nicknamed Tux". Well, mine is called
Fux: http://houghi.org/shots/fux-1600x1200.jpg

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Special:Search/Linus_Torvalds
Special neat quotes:
- I'm always right. This time I'm just even more right than usual.
- My personal opinion of Mach is not very high. Frankly, it's a piece of
crap. It contains all the design mistakes you can make, and even managed
to make up a few of its own.
- I will, in fact, claim that the difference between a bad programmer
and a good one is whether he considers his code or his data structures
more important. Bad programmers worry about the code. Good programmers
worry about data structures and their relationships.
- If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a
lot of different places, just write a Unix operating system.

and obviously the two last entries.

And all others quotes are great to read and funny as well.

I'm actually quite close to creating a DavjamOS. Just finishing off
replacing the graphics with either my own rubbish artwork, replacing the
problem icons with those from GPL'd icon sets, and then rebuilding the
RPMs. Once it's finished, and makeSUSEdvd has done its job, I'll install
it to make sure all the trademarked items were really removed and that
will be probably it. I don't really fancy going through all this hard
work every time one of the RPMs is changed.

What I would suspect or at leasst try to achive is to write a script
around it. And do it insuch a way that future realease of openSUSE need
only minor changes.

It almost looks like a Russion doll in a doll.
Your script is a shell for makeSUSEdvd which is a shell around
create_package_descr which is a script around rpm.
Now I know why they call it a shell script. :-)

Did you submit a bug report to try and get the name changed? If so, is
it still open and accepting votes?

Not so much as that. I just offerd the idea on the original bugreport
which was a closed report. It took about a year to get it to the first
(and only?) public bugreport.

houghi
--
Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  • Re: Will Linux become as vulnerable as MS ??
    ... > beeing vulnerable to viruses. ... > that they know are executable, and execute intentionally. ... >> Linux, each distro is a little different, and even within the distro, ... > Since clicking on a script is easier than typing it's name, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • wonk mode
    ... workable Linux system for my home computer, ... MEPIS release (replacing a much older "Fedora" ... Red Hat Package Monitor formatted software archives ... This little dandy script, line wrapped ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Compiling gnuplot with libgd
    ... of running this script. ... installing the gnuplot graphing program ... By building a package for damn small linux I can have it automatically ... install gnuplot and run my required script without having to customize ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot)
  • Re: Setting Up NTP for Time Sync
    ... prg wrote: ... >>I've made no changes to the script file that I know of. ... > packet filter facilities included with Linux. ... > This should set up your Linux box for ntp. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: For The Newbies
    ... learn kde as it does to learn Linux. ... Sidney, in a few sentences could you accurately summarise an accurate ... all the subtleties and nuances of the GNU userland, ... 'leaving' the desktop environment or make it difficult to enter the ...
    (alt.linux)