Re: e-mail

BearItAll wrote:
Limestone-Cowboy wrote:

What is the simplest way of accessing a POP3 or IMAP e-mail folder on a
openSUSE10.2 machine from a win2k machine running say Thunderbird?

Assume fetchmail and postfix are installed and working for kmail so mail
accessible for var/user/fred .

webmin installed
server machine is 192.168.2.25
client on 192.168.2.2

I also have egroupware but can't get e-mail with that either

Trying to replace 602Lan which crashes all the time.

1. Go into Yast and the firewall.
2. Select Allowed Services.
3. Select the ones you want to allow, in your list imap server and pop3
server.

Do 'next' to those and let it set them up for you. At this point you
actually have access to your email on the Suse, though they is nothing in
it. For example lets say that your user name on your Suse is 'fred'.

On your email clients the setup is just as any email setup, whether on your
Linux box or a Windows box,
user name: fred
password: fred's *Suse* password
pop: 192.168.2.25 (oi! where's your DNS!!!) - Set the port (oops, I've forgotten the port number, never mind, bet it's already set correctly)
smtp: your normal smtp information for your ISP, nothing to do with the Suse at this stage.

Hmmm, thinks, Are you sending using your hosts smtp or do you want your
clients to send to your Suse and the suse take care of all the other
bits-n-bobs I wonder.

Well one way is, that you connect to your own web domain, use a catchall pop
box, then you want your Suse to pick them up and then distribute locally
according to the 'To:email@address' on them.

Ok, lets pretend that you can use your catchall and do it that way (I reccon
all families should have their own domain name anyway, so that you are
independant of ISP). So for the sake of this lets say your family domain is

limestonecowboy.com

So, still in Yast select 'Network Services' then 'Mail Transfer Agent'.

(I'm going through this with you because I can't remember the steps).

Connection type, I assume it's permanent because every one knows co herdin
is big business so your rich enough to have super fast cables laid to where
ever you are.

Next -> Out going mail server.

This is where you type the name of your actual smtp
So if you own your domain it will be something like,
mail.limestonecowboy.com
or
smtp.limestonecowboy.com
Or if you use a regular sort of host it might be something like,
smtp.btinternet.com
Either one requires authentication, so press that part and fill in the form.

Next -> Incoming mail.

We already opened the firewall port, but tick it anyway or the next login or
update in this area and the bugger closes it again.

Server, mail.limestonecowboy.com. Protocol = AUTO
Username of your
catchall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and it's password.

Local user. This is where it gets tricky, it must do because this is where
most people screw up. So listen very carefully.
Select the local user 'mail'.
To clarify that is spelt
em ay eye el
Note: You might choose to use mailman, in which case do that and look up the
mailman instructions, or you might opt to use Cyrus, worth looking at
before you follow any instructions in this post.

Delivery mode select 'Through Procmail' (or Cyrus if you went that way).

Press Finish.

There, I don't think I missed anything off that. Just remember that if you
go with mailman or Cyrus to follow their instructions instead of mine.

Ok, so we now have the transporter in place, but where's the goods?

Well, I will tell you all about procmail and fetchmail after lunch. I wont
be long, just in desperate need of a bacon butty.

I am trying to set up my mail as I have it on 602LAN but with an always on server rather than my win2k box which dual boots into opensuse10.2.

At the moment I collect e-mail from free-online, btinternet and yahoo and redistribute to an XP laptop, the win2k box, and two other XP/Opensuse machines, so that a backup of the mail is on 602LAN and all e-mails are accessible to all machines no matter who is logged onto which machine in whichever OS. Phew!!!

What I want to do is set up an old PC with egroupware or something similar to use as a Exchange type server thus freeing up my win2k machine so that I can run Linux with any essential windows software (yeuch) such as excel, databases and TurboCAD either running on WINE/Cedega or under a virtual machine. This will save a few of my grey hairs and lots of disk space.

I can then work in my study or conservatory or on laptop elsewhere near house in summer and still have schedules available and access to e-mail.
.