10.2 boot problems after nvidia driver install

Hi,

After reading an article about driver installatation for nvidia cards I now
can't get passed a "dos" like login screen after rebooting.

I did this after a fresh install of 10.2 on a new computer:

"I installed:

-nvidia-gfx-kmp-default
-x11-video-nvidia

su -

modprobe nvidia

Close all open programs, then press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X.org
server. You should now have hardware 3D acceleration".

After that I get the following error after trying the "startx" command:

error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.18.2-34-default/updates/nvidia.ko)
no such device
(EE) nvidia(0):failed to load the nvidia kernel module
(EE) nvidia(0) aborting
(EE) nvidia(0) screens found, but non have a usable cfg.
Fatal server error: noo screens found
XIO: fatal io error 104

How do I solve thi sso I can get the GUI again?

Thanks!

Derk

  • Re: suse 10.1 graphic problem
    ... NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module! ... UnloadModule: "nvidia" ... Fatal server error: ... no screens found ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [Solved] Nividia Twinview Problem?
    ... I'm using two screens with different aspect ration in TwinView mode on ... I didn't have a single answer on the NVIDIA forums. ... Identifier "Default Layout" ... Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole ...
    (Fedora)
  • [SOLVED] Re: [opensuse] First impressions on OpenSUSE 11.3: 11.0 was better...
    ... after banging my head against the screens I removed all ... Added the nVidia repos to YaST2 and installed ... Identifier "Keyboard0" ... SubSection "Display" ...
    (SuSE)
  • twinview and other related questions
    ... I use nvidia driver from nvidia, but I think that the problem will be the same if I used livna nvidia driver. ... I want to connect a beamer and get display on both LCD panel and "CRT". ... VendorName "Monitor Vendor" ... Is there a way to have exactly the same screen displayed, with different resolutions, in order to have the same display on both display screens: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Multiple X screens, multiple WM, TV-out
    ... I'm trying to get the TV-out of my nvidia graphics card to work. ... to a multiple screens approach, ... Identifier "Nvidia LCD" ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)