Re: SuSE 10.2 X Configuration failing during ATI Radeon 9600 Driver Install

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:48:17 -0800, Mike Anthony wrote:

Hello Folks,
Another head scratcher dealing with initializing the RPM compiled and
installed. This prevents 3d from working. On all former versions of
SuSE back to 9.0 everything worked fine.

The driver was the most recent from ATI, compiled and installed.
ATI mobility radeon 9600
17" wide aspect display
Generic laptop band

When running sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

I get the following....

Testing configuration Failed:
For further information refer to the file /var/log/Xorg.99.log. The
following report has been created from the calling instance:
SaX library: Success
X Configuration: No information

Snipped from the Xorg.99.log

(II) fglrx(0): End of Display1 EDID data --------------------
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInitDAL failed
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed
(II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === end
(II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
(II) UnloadModule: "ddc"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libddc.so
(II) UnloadModule: "fglrxdrm"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux//libfglrxdrm.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvbe.so
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Does anyone know what this means and how to address finding the
screens?

Thank You

See the thing I posted about ATi 9550 and fglrx.

The 9600 card is the same (detected) as the 9550. It took me a while
before I got the damn thing to work!

First of all, get a good X server running, then as root save the xorg.conf
file as something like xorg.conf.good. This will give you a way out when
it screws up on you. (I like nano to edit; VI is too intensive for me!).

Then try reloading the drivers; when it wonks out, do an ALT-F1 or
CTRL-ALT-BCKSPC (or start Failsafe mode) and cp xorg.conf.good xorg.conf
to get your X-Server running again and try again!

It took quite a while, but I finally found the proper combination of ATi
driver and monitor settings to get X running w/3D support and able to run
Beryl/Compiz.

But the end result is worth it! I had an advance copy of Vista, and Beryl
blows Aero into the weeds!

From the black screen, CTRL-ALT-DELETE will restart the computer!

Good Luck!
.