Re: SuSE 10.2 -- Wrong sound card

Jess Jackson schrieb:

I did not catch the error but for whatever reason, SuSE installed it as
a Sound Blaster Audigy LS card using module snd-ca0106.

That's perfectly correct. Both cards use the same driver. See

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs#matrix

So I tried "add" in YAST's sound module. I tried to add a SB
Live/PCI512/E-mu APS (the only "Live" card in my list of Creative Lab
cards. After a few seconds it gives an error message which reads "The
kernel module snd-emu10k1 for sound support could not be loaded. This
can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or
IRQ parameters."

That's because the SB Live and the SB Live 24 are completely different
cards. Vendor names are made up by marketing people and they are no help in
any technical sense.

If you have problems with sound playback, I would encourage to test a little
more before misconfiguring the whole system to death. Remove all the
settings you made and let YaST detect the sound card again. Then (on a
terminal window, e.g. "konsole")

$ speaker-test -c2

Do you hear pink noise? Do you get any error messages?

Kind regards

Jan

  • Re: Sound Crackles on Multiple Sound cards and speakers!
    ... > SB-LIVE MP3+ 5.1 sound card ... I decided to call Creative Tech Support. ... but creative cards are so superior to other sound cards ... > use alot of system resources, and the Windows o/s just can't handle ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Hardware Configuration on DSL
    ... old sndconfig rpm that will set up these cards. ... the Alsa drivers to work. ... The Red Hat Linux configuration tool for legacy sound ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: KDEs farting error sound
    ... The sound arrives much much later than it should. ... to give the cards the extra cycles they want even when it means that other ... which change their PCI latency to 64. ... sound card with a Via Envy chip, no fixed resampling and software buffers. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Psystar Macs Better Than Apple Macs?
    ... expansion cards to add functionality like USB 3.0 when it comes ... They seem happy they got a Mac that they can expand for ... add capture devices and external HDs and external sound devices. ... Integrated chipsets from Intel are usually OK but not high end ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Zaxcom recording radios... another shameless rave
    ... Delivery depends on how often the radio tracks are needed. ... dub all my sd cards to dvd or hd on a daily basis. ... don't foresee the picture editors or telecine needing the radio ... re-constitute the sound. ...
    (rec.arts.movies.production.sound)