10.2 USB Problems after Clean Re-install

Greetings,
I've been using OpenSUSE 10.2 since it was released with no problems. But I read an article about an ext2 driver for Windows. I had an external hard drive (250 Gb) that I switched between my Linux machines and my windows boxes. So I had 2 partitions of FAT32. Well, I decided to back it up, delete the FAT32 partition, use one large ext3 partition and load this ext2 (and 3) driver for Windows. Great idea, right? Operator failure! I don't know how I did it but it seems that I trashed my OpenSUSE file system. No bother, just reinstall. So I did and mostly I'm good to go. But nothing I plug into my USB ports now appears. Before I fixed it till it wouldn't work, I was able to plug in USB thumb drives or external hard drives and a window would open asking if I wanted to open it in a new window, etc. Or I could use Konqueror to go to storage media and see it that way. Nothing. I googled and a while back some people had trouble with this but they just went into a rant about how bad OpenSUSE 10.2 is. I'd love to rant about how bad my OpenSUSE 10.2 operator is but I doubt you'd be interested and I'm distracted by the pain of the gun shot in my foot!

How do I get my new install of 10.2 to recognize my USB drives? When I open the partitioner in YAST to see if they are listed there so I could do a hand mount, nothing. There is an entry in /etc/fstab about process usb noauto. Is this what is messing me up? I'm using an Nvidia chipset motherboard and it's website says that the chipset drivers are in the kernel.

Reinstall? Can anyone point me in a direction that will get me started on the right track?

Thanks,
Tom
PS I couldn't get the Windows machine to do anything more than assign a driver letter to the ext3 partitioned external hard drive either though I bet it is the problem of that d*!m operator again.

  • [opensuse] boot loader problem
    ... Prior to installing openSUSE 11.1 I decided to upgrade to a larger hard drive. ... I moved to a 500G drive and made one 120G partition on this drive. ... and ntfsresize I moved Windows XP into this partition. ... I was able to boot into Windows 7 after the install. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: CF considered as fixed drive
    ... My second proposition consist of use a compact flash driver under windows ... I see this kind of driver for Hitachi CF, ... >> I need to use multiple partition on CF with Windows XPE. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: large HD partition: who is right?
    ... and then instantly nuke everything on the disk as the addressing wraps-around ... Windows' disk manager is intelligent enough that if it spots a ... external or internal slave HD of 500GB, and use XP to partition the whole HD. ... The BIOS provides only a real mode driver. ...
  • Re: Hitachi hts424030m9at00
    ... special purpose partition from "curious" users. ... Windows supports the concept of installable ... read only support, and finally pulled, but I'm told that there is an ... installable driver on Windows 2000 installation media to restore this ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Hard Disk detection under wince .net
    ... > drive on the board with a Primary DOS 12 test partition on it. ... Our problem is that once we boot in windows ce .net, ... But there is nothing; no folder! ... Did you check to see if the FAT filesystem driver is installed? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)