Re: Is AppArmor really necessary?

"houghi" <houghi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:slrnf4u178.gp7.houghi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pat Kelecy wrote:
I thought Linux was fairly immune to viruses, malware, and other exploits
(which, as I understand it, are mainly targeted at MS software). So is
this
really that necessary, particularly for a home user? If not, can it be
uninstalled without causing other problems?

I don't use it. As I have never used it, I have no idea what the
advantages might be if you do. To me my firewall is good enough.

Those are my thoughts also (about the firewall, that is). I just wanted to
make sure removing it wouldn't break something else (wasn't sure how tightly
it's integrated with the OS). But now that I think about it, Yast probably
wouldn't let me if it was really that critical.

-Pat

  • Re: Is AppArmor really necessary?
    ... particularly for a home user? ... Those are my thoughts also (about the firewall, ... wanted to make sure removing it wouldn't break something else ... But now that I think about it, Yast ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Is AppArmor really necessary?
    ... particularly for a home user? ... Those are my thoughts also (about the firewall, ... But now that I think about it, Yast ... I do have a router with a firewall. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: KDE
    ... But there is a real big lot of people asking dual booting Samba and firewall questions. ... but if you install it Yast goes crazy about the firewall. ... you can edit the file that launches the firewall part and let it not run. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] why no "cups" entry in YaST Firewall Allowed Services in 11.3?
    ... not the setup more secure. ... You say that we are still free to open the port in the firewall. ... Of course, but what is the point of YaST, if not making administration steps ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Putting server on the internet or not
    ... If you are a home user, ... >> on the internet trying to access my machine via SSH. ... > firewall can be good but you will need to spend more time researching ... >> I'll bet Scot has a generator though. ...
    (Fedora)