Re: Linux and Hard Drives with Partitions Help Needed

houghi wrote:
aRu wrote:
I have tried google and I have not been able to find a simple answer...

Oh, but there is.

Okay, so, I am still a linux newbie

No problem

I am trying to install another distro

And here is the easy answer: Don't.

Seriously, stick with one distribution, till you have masterd that.
Having more then one distribution will confuse you. And unless you are a
more experienced user AND are into developing distributions/software,
there is no real need.

Obviously several people will cry fault when I say that, because they
have masterd to have 27, or so, distributions installed on their 286.

But best is to learn one distribution good and then you will know what
to do and what is what. This will make learning the second distribution
a lot more likable and enjoyable.

Wether this distribution is openSUSE or something else is irrelevant.

Should you look at other distributions? Absolutely, but not if you are a
newbie. Concentrate on learning a lot more and then go with another,
learn that. Also at least give a distribution 2 months of your time,
menaing no dualbooting into anything else and then see how it goes.

So, yes, there is an easy answer, but knowing human nature, you won't
like the answer and go ahead and try out many more distributions and as
a result take much more time to learn Linux.

houghi

You make a valid point. Curiosity got the better of me with the talk of Feisty Fawn (Ubuntu 7.04) and I wanted to check it out. Perhaps waiting -to install another distro- would be the most appropriate decision to make. Would you recommend any books to assist in learning about linux?

  • Re: Energy constrained RL
    ... It has a cost. ... to me that reversible adiabatic computation can approach zero ... Learning cannot be a reversible process (even though ... entropy of this distribution, and 2) a reduction in the uncertainty of the ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Re: 50 years later, Marvin Minsky still doesnt get it
    ... I am interested in Learning. ... possbily changing distribution, and thus maximizing returns over the "long ... Is the mean of the VI schedule enough, ... Predictability, complexity and learning. ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Digital Planet
    ... a macroscopic effect, Quake 4, is without question 100% mediated by logical ... learning" and other extant machine learning paradigms, ... a higher level abstraction has been created. ... probability distribution, the salient issues that lead to an optimal (or ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Re: Damn you, FEDEX! or Nikon D40 lost in Springfield, MO blackhole.
    ... the 2 mp Mavica he had been using with a Nikon D40. ... After shopping around, he got me to order one for him. ... The shipper had it insured, but from what I have read it could take weeks to sort this crap out. ... You may get your insurance from FedEx and a couple weeks later they find it and deliver it. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Androids & Strong AI in the Future - Calling All Futurologistsand Clairvoyants
    ... kinds of learning paradigms: reinforcement learning and unsupervised ... In reinforcement learning, ... probability distribution over a set of random variables. ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)