Re: Using suse linux as a wireless gateway

On May 25, 12:22 am, mike sconyers <mikesco...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello there linux lovers.....

I have a question.. Is it possible to use this o/s
as a wireless gateway.. I am using suse 10.1
and I am connected to the internet via a wireless
adapter and access point. On my rig I have a NIC card
and I was just wondering if it was possible.

I want to connect a game console with out buying
additional equipment... Ya!! Dig........:)

Now I have experience with writing scripts and
I have experience with router configs.

I have a Linux machine with two network cards (not wireless).

In the SuSEfirewall config (using YaST) one of them is on the internal
network, the other on the external network. IP forwarding is turned
on. The Linux machine runs as a DHCP (giving out IP addresses) and
DNS server (bind, caching only) for the internal network. Other
machines on the internal network access the Internet via the Linux
machine.
I am not sure if all of this (in particular the bind caching name
server) is necessary but it works fine.

The other firewall settings are to block everything on the external
network and to allow everything on the internal network.

Running squid as an http proxy would be more secure but I never got
around to setting it up.

I see no reason why that should not work for you, with the WLAN
defined as 'DMZ'.

  • Hey Neighbor, Stop Piggybacking on My Wireless
    ... Stop Piggybacking on My Wireless ... the wireless Internet connection Christine and Randy Brodeur ... Many home network ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... I am not saying it is a good idea to run an open wireless access ... Internet firewall in place, I would worry more about the threat from ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: peer to peer not working but internet does.
    ... desktop to router ... File sharing is on in both and so is internet sharing. ... You may need to describe your network in detail. ... Wireless Router connected to Desktop with Ethernet Cable. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... A wireless attacker cannot "sniff" anything except other wireless ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ... providing free Internet access to anyone nearby. ... my boss is under the impression that since we are ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... A wireless attacker cannot "sniff" anything except other wireless ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ... providing free Internet access to anyone nearby. ... my boss is under the impression that since we are ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)