Re: Using suse linux as a wireless gateway

Vlad_Inhaler wrote:

On May 25, 12:22 am, mike sconyers <mikesco...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello there linux lovers.....

I have a question.. Is it possible to use this o/s
as a wireless gateway.. I am using suse 10.1
and I am connected to the internet via a wireless
adapter and access point. On my rig I have a NIC card
and I was just wondering if it was possible.

I want to connect a game console with out buying
additional equipment... Ya!! Dig........:)

Now I have experience with writing scripts and
I have experience with router configs.

I have a Linux machine with two network cards (not wireless).

In the SuSEfirewall config (using YaST) one of them is on the internal
network, the other on the external network. IP forwarding is turned
on. The Linux machine runs as a DHCP (giving out IP addresses) and
DNS server (bind, caching only) for the internal network. Other
machines on the internal network access the Internet via the Linux
machine.
I am not sure if all of this (in particular the bind caching name
server) is necessary but it works fine.

The other firewall settings are to block everything on the external
network and to allow everything on the internal network.

Running squid as an http proxy would be more secure but I never got
around to setting it up.

I see no reason why that should not work for you, with the WLAN
defined as 'DMZ'.

I have tried your suggestion and still no luck
So far I installed dhcp server and configured it
for a private ip scheme and using the ip scheme of
my router. still it does not give out ip addresses.
and further it will not bind with the wireless card
I am still open for more ideas.

  • Re: Expanding wireless range
    ... I work in IT but am new to wireless beyond setting up a wireless ... The short answer to ?Is there already an existing wired network ... and now want to extend that "open" wifi overlay into the other buildings.... ... Your REAL question is how to have your internal network and the public/open ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Using suse linux as a wireless gateway
    ... and I am connected to the internet via a wireless ... I have a Linux machine with two network cards. ... machines on the internal network access the Internet via the Linux ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Multiple Network Cards and Networks
    ... My home PC has 2 network cards in it: ... Wireless network card that is used for accessing my wireless ADSL ... connected to the switch was the internal network. ...
  • TidBITS#785/27-Jun-05
    ... Jeff Carlson continues his exploration of computerized poker ... and Adam examines both the Canary Wireless ... Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro ... A Canary in the Network ...
    (comp.sys.mac.digest)
  • Re: Linksys NAS200 Network Storage adapter
    ... The only two wireless network settings that are of any consequence are the SSID and the encryption method and password. ... either click the "Print Network Settings" button on the final screen of the Wizard or simply access the appropriate XML file and get at them that way and then use the information to configure the router manually as I explained earlier. ... I've read thru some of the MS web site on that product and it appears to do everything a NAS will do plus other cool features, such as, with an xbox360 with the wireless adapter, I can stream my video/pics to my TV for family viewing. ...