Re: OpenSuse 10.2 - Can another kernel be installed?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:43:04 +0200, houghi wrote:

It depends on what type of sensors you have. Not all are supported and
with each release more I2C device support is added.

Obviously everytime YMMV, but only if you have very specific hardware that
is actualy added in the latests version, you might not need it.

I know it's a bit surprising (the late arrival for support). My main
system is a 3GHz P4, HT on Gigabyte mobo w/865PE chipset. It's not
exactly new, IOW but here's what I need to load...

# I2C adapter drivers
modprobe i2c-i801
modprobe i2c-isa
modprobe smsc47m192
modprobe eeprom
modprobe smsc47m1

The earliest kernel I found with support for one of those was a 2.6.19
kernel. It's the main sensor that reports CPU temperature. The smsc47m192
was the one that I needed, IIRC.

You can find out what is supported by grep'ing
/usr/src/linux/drivers/i2c or searching the Kconfig files under that
directory.

So I understand your surprise that I had to do a bit of searching and
that it wasn't supported in earlier kernels.

Email - rsgibson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Replace borg with net

  • list corruption on ib_srp load in v2.6.24-rc5
    ... modprobe ib_srp ... kernel BUG at lib/list_debug.c:33! ... # SCSI support type ... # USB Network Adapters ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Linux Multimedia System
    ... Marek Franke wrote: ... > #echo Loading analog joystick support ... > #modprobe gameport ... > echo Loading SNES gamepad support ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: OpenSuse 10.2 - Can another kernel be installed?
    ... I know it's a bit surprising (the late arrival for support). ... modprobe i2c-isa ... The earliest kernel I found with support for one of those was a 2.6.19 ... How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Problem with SB Live 24 bit
    ... Using modprobe should ensure that all of ... However I am pretty sure that the snd-ca0106 driver is ... When the ALSA driver gets loaded there are lots of other support modules ... chip driver is *supposed* to build the necessary support modules and ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Module problems/questions with Slackware 9.1 and Linux-2.6.1
    ... > fixes this ... > modprobe doesn't support the -k flag ... support for removing modules (it's off by default, ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)