Re: OpenSuse 10.2 - Can another kernel be installed?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:43:04 +0200, houghi wrote:

It depends on what type of sensors you have. Not all are supported and
with each release more I2C device support is added.

Obviously everytime YMMV, but only if you have very specific hardware that
is actualy added in the latests version, you might not need it.

I know it's a bit surprising (the late arrival for support). My main
system is a 3GHz P4, HT on Gigabyte mobo w/865PE chipset. It's not
exactly new, IOW but here's what I need to load...

# I2C adapter drivers
modprobe i2c-i801
modprobe i2c-isa
modprobe smsc47m192
modprobe eeprom
modprobe smsc47m1

The earliest kernel I found with support for one of those was a 2.6.19
kernel. It's the main sensor that reports CPU temperature. The smsc47m192
was the one that I needed, IIRC.

You can find out what is supported by grep'ing
/usr/src/linux/drivers/i2c or searching the Kconfig files under that
directory.

So I understand your surprise that I had to do a bit of searching and
that it wasn't supported in earlier kernels.

Email - rsgibson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Replace borg with net

.