dual boot install loses dvd drive in winxp

I'm moderately experienced in Linux, but I'm having a bizarre but completely reproducible problem. I have installed openSUSE 10.1 and Windows XP Pro on a Clevo M570U laptop – several times. And every time that I do, the Philips DVD Burner becomes invisible to Windows. - not appearing in the Explorer list, the system hardware list in device manager, etc. It's as though it's been physically removed from the computer.

I have twice installed Windows then SUSE, and the DVD is OK until SUSE is installed. I once reinstalled Windows afterwards, and the DVD was OK until I booted into the SUSE install and re-installed GRUB.

The DVD works fine under SUSE.

The grub.conf file is as follows:

---------------------------------------

root (hd0,1)

install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 (hd0,1) /grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,1)/grub/menu.lst

install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 (hd0) /grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,1)/grub/menu.lst

quit

The menu.lst file is as follows:

---------------------------------------

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Jun 16 17:07:00 EST 2007

color white/blue black/light-gray

default 1

timeout 8

gfxmenu (hd0,1)/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###

title SUSE Linux 10.1

root (hd0,1)

kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 apm=off acpi=off mce=off barrier=off ide=nodma idewait=50 i8042.nomux psmouse.proto=bare irqpoll pci=nommconf resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts

initrd /initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###

title Windows

chainloader (hd0,0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###

title Failsafe -- SUSE Linux 10.1

root (hd0,1)

kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3

initrd /initrd

Does anyone have any clues?

.