dual boot install loses dvd drive in winxp

I'm moderately experienced in Linux, but I'm having a bizarre but completely reproducible problem. I have installed openSUSE 10.1 and Windows XP Pro on a Clevo M570U laptop – several times. And every time that I do, the Philips DVD Burner becomes invisible to Windows. - not appearing in the Explorer list, the system hardware list in device manager, etc. It's as though it's been physically removed from the computer.

I have twice installed Windows then SUSE, and the DVD is OK until SUSE is installed. I once reinstalled Windows afterwards, and the DVD was OK until I booted into the SUSE install and re-installed GRUB.

The DVD works fine under SUSE.

The grub.conf file is as follows:

---------------------------------------

root (hd0,1)

install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 (hd0,1) /grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,1)/grub/menu.lst

install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 (hd0) /grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,1)/grub/menu.lst

quit

The menu.lst file is as follows:

---------------------------------------

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Jun 16 17:07:00 EST 2007

color white/blue black/light-gray

default 1

timeout 8

gfxmenu (hd0,1)/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###

title SUSE Linux 10.1

root (hd0,1)

kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 apm=off acpi=off mce=off barrier=off ide=nodma idewait=50 i8042.nomux psmouse.proto=bare irqpoll pci=nommconf resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts

initrd /initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###

title Windows

chainloader (hd0,0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###

title Failsafe -- SUSE Linux 10.1

root (hd0,1)

kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3

initrd /initrd

Does anyone have any clues?

  • Re: The grand experiment
    ... >> likely to arise very often as SUSE offers RPM packages for almost ... "Decent" hardware for Linux is the way to go. ... Having recently built a machine and started with just the Windows CD and the ... it looks like Windows has a lot to learn in the install ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Flash mob in Maryland on tape
    ... I still haven't got Windows 7 set up enough to ... something I thought was going to install MusicMatch ... Get a CD or USB flash with Linux Live on it! ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: eMachines OEM XP woes - time to buy $tandard?
    ... >>> under Windoze. ... Let's say one wants to install NVU. ... Now show how much easier it is to install MS Office on Linux than ... Windows OS's from Win3.1 to Windows 2003 Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: bad experience with Suse 9.1 on Inspiron 8200
    ... > it is an M$ bug, such technicalities are irrelevant to the end user. ... :-) Windows has ... work as long as they work, trying to install a nitrous ... Linux are at least a *little* bit curious about how their computer works ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)