Re: Suse Equivalent of rc.local

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:41:29 +0200, birre <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 2007-06-15 21:29, meuban@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I looked at /etc/ethers. It appears to be what I am after. I
therefore added the ethernet address and corresponding IPs into
/etc/ethers. When I reboot and run /sbin/arp -a, the static arp
entries are still not showing up. I am not sure I understand the
purpose of /etc/ethers.

I don't understand it either, since I have no problem when all my devices
get IP from dhcp, and have fixed address from their mac address.
I was checking rarp, but this was obsoleted , so suse do it some other way.

What if you just ping the host, don't you get it added in the arp table ?

/birre

Yes, if I ping a host it always shows up in the arp table. What I am
trying to accomplish by establishing a static arp table upon boot up
is security. That is, with a static arp table established, it
prevents someone from poisoning the arp table (a way of ip
masquerading).

Thanks for taking the time to help.

  • Re: Detecting unused IP addresses in a subnet using ping?
    ... ARP reply -> no host. ... message "Destination Host Unreachable" indicating that no host on the ... Of course ping is not the best tool for this task. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • RE: mac to ip address tools
    ... Say host A on your net is trying to communicate with host B. Host A ... needs to know the MAC address for host B (or the MAC address for the ... ARP replies are no good for you - those are ... About 100 machines using the same MAC address: ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
    ... >ARP is designed to find the next hop on a LAN. ... If the host has an IP ... >to have a default gateway configured. ... >would anyone know where the packet came from since the network is not ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • ARP changes
    ... I know that arp has changed a lot in FreeBSD 8. ... if you ping a host ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • RE: Using ARP to map a network
    ... destination IP hosts are on the same L2, and by definition, L3 network. ... host ARP table on NET X should only show entries for those machines on its ... same subnet the host had conversations with. ... Cisco's recommendation (from a security point of view) is to disable proxy ...
    (Pen-Test)