Re: Suse Equivalent of rc.local

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:41:29 +0200, birre <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 2007-06-15 21:29, meuban@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I looked at /etc/ethers. It appears to be what I am after. I
therefore added the ethernet address and corresponding IPs into
/etc/ethers. When I reboot and run /sbin/arp -a, the static arp
entries are still not showing up. I am not sure I understand the
purpose of /etc/ethers.

I don't understand it either, since I have no problem when all my devices
get IP from dhcp, and have fixed address from their mac address.
I was checking rarp, but this was obsoleted , so suse do it some other way.

What if you just ping the host, don't you get it added in the arp table ?

/birre

Yes, if I ping a host it always shows up in the arp table. What I am
trying to accomplish by establishing a static arp table upon boot up
is security. That is, with a static arp table established, it
prevents someone from poisoning the arp table (a way of ip
masquerading).

Thanks for taking the time to help.

  • Re: Detecting unused IP addresses in a subnet using ping?
    ... ARP reply -> no host. ... message "Destination Host Unreachable" indicating that no host on the ... Of course ping is not the best tool for this task. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • RE: mac to ip address tools
    ... Say host A on your net is trying to communicate with host B. Host A ... needs to know the MAC address for host B (or the MAC address for the ... ARP replies are no good for you - those are ... About 100 machines using the same MAC address: ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
    ... >ARP is designed to find the next hop on a LAN. ... If the host has an IP ... >to have a default gateway configured. ... >would anyone know where the packet came from since the network is not ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • ARP changes
    ... I know that arp has changed a lot in FreeBSD 8. ... if you ping a host ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: traffic analysis
    ... "The server is on a /20-network, and this leads to high amounts of ... 140MB a day sounds a lot to me, and your host should not contribute a lot to this kind of "background traffic": ... ARP packets are sent on the local network only, ARP is used to maintain the arp table which matches hardware addresses and ip addresses. ... If your host's firewall does not drop packets to closed ports then it will send a response packet. ...
    (freebsd-questions)