Re: Add Vista in a triple boot?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:37:18 -0400, Pat wrote:

Once Vista installs itself, I think it will overwrite the Grub boot
loader, so I'll lose my ability to run SUSE (on hdb). Is that correct

Reinstall grub on / (your Linux partitioon with /boot

http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

Install it in the MBR *after* all the install is done. Scan the
partitions and add the bootable ones.

BTW, I would not let Vista do anything to my HD as it might just nuke
Linux altogether. Are you able to prepartition it? I have two machines.

I prepartitioned.
All lilo's reside on / for each distro Smart Boot Loader is on both
machines.

No problems ever even when I delete a Linux distro and add another.

Can't Yast prepartition? I thought I read somewhere it could.

I suppose it can but I use Partition Magic and ext2 (or ext3). It's the
only app I've found for resizing and making partition that fully
handles any Linux or windoze "quirks".

But the standard suggestion is to use Linux tools for linux filesystems
(Like GParted) and 'doze tools for FAT and NTFS. GParted will do an OK
job on those but introduces some no-fatal errors into the partition
table and partition boot records.

Why I use PMagic is based on two things - Mostly is because I've used it
over a hundred times at least sucessfully. Two, I don't trust disto
partition tools. Sometimes they work perfectly but have been known to
make a mess of things also. This is no insuly to yast tools - It's
simply my preference to use what I know will work.

I'm starting to reconsider doing this though. Apparently MS doesn't have
a free, installable, demo copy of Vista (only a virtualized one), and I
don't really want to buy a copy just for this. I can't imagine that's
good for business though (probably good for Linux). I guess they must be
pretty confident of their lock on the market.

They'd have to pay me to test that Alpha

Email - rsgibson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Replace borg with net

  • Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)
    ... >> The Linux boot floppy is a bit more tricky. ... So I tried adding cfdisk to a spare Debian Woody boot ... > I reduced all the partition sizes by a third. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux, XP, Win2003 Server multi-boot
    ... Go to PC magazine's web site and do a search on "partitioning for linux" to see articles and reviews about partitioning philosophy and tools. ... Tools are now available in many bootable CD based Linux distributions to resize the C: partition of your disk drive to make room for Linux. ... I finally got the new machine - it came with one of those 'recovery' disks - and a 5 gig recovery partition that isn't supposed to be deleted. ... Once I feel I have everything in order - always lose something when I get a new computer - I'll format that disk and install Linux & Win2003 on it I guess. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Linux Windows dual boot not restoring properly
    ... Linux is showing the Windows folders in its file manager under the name of what effectively was drive C. ... decreases that Windows partition size in order to make a partition ... And at startup, can scan the hard drives, for partition types it ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Panasonic HD Recorders - What disk format?
    ... The earlier part of this is more about what may be Linux partitioning, ... might be possible to present the recorder with a larger disk already ... Most DOS/Windows utilities such as FDisk, Ghost, and Partition Magic Pro ... prompts to format it. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Disc Partitioning for Multi-Boot (long)
    ... We need to get the data off of the NTFS partition. ... But the next question is how to partition the drive so Windows and Linux ... The fdisk supplied with Windows 98 cannot manage that disc. ... How shall I make a multi-boot system out of that machine, ...
    (Fedora)