Re: Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:46:01 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

Keith Willcocks wrote:

I am just starting to play with Suse Linux 10.2 on an old machine that is
currently connected to the Internet by Ethernet cable but I want to be
able
to use a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that I have spare instead. When I
try to configure the adapter, Suse finds it, no problem, but then says
that
Atmel-Firmware needs to be installed. I have found a web site that has
many versions of Atmel-Firmware but have no idea which I require and even
less idea how to go about installing it. Perhaps some kind person will
take pity on me and explain in simple (very simple) terms what I need, how
to get it and how to install it.

Just add the non-oss install directory to your install sources. Then search
for Atmel-Firmware.

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/non-oss

The description for that package reads as follows:

The drivers for Atmel at76c50x wireless network chips in the Linux 2.6.x
kernel and at http://at76c503a.berlios.de/ do not include the firmware and
this firmware needs to be loaded by the host on most cards using these
chips. This package provides the firmware images that should be
automatically loaded as needed by the hotplug system. It also provides a
small loader utility that can be used to accomplish the same thing when
hotplug is not in use.

Thanks Michael, that did it and the USB Adapter has now been installed.
Everything appears(!) to be OK with the exception that it seems not to be
working. It does not find my BT Home Hub (yes, I know) or my neighbours
wireless setups of which their are several. The PC is multiboot and when
I boot into XP it connects OK so I know that the router and adapter are
working. In Network card Configuration Overview it has set up as Linksys
WLAN Controller with IP address as DHCP and Device Name
wlan-bus-usb-1-1.3:1.0 and in configuration it has the Genearal tab as
Firewall Disabled and Device Activation as On Hotplug. Under the Address
tab it is set for Automatic Address Setup (via DHCP). Everything else
has been left unchanged. The wireless security is WEP 128 bit (the
adapter is pre WPA) and I have checked and rechecked the 28 hexadecimal
character key to ensure it is correct. I am now stumped so if anyone has
any thoughts I will be grateful.

Keith Willcocks

  • Re: Wireless AP setup: RTL8188CUS
    ... I just bought an USB dongle nano Netis WF-2120 adapter. ... I want to set it up on my headless Debian Wheezy server as a Wireless ... This did install the modules in the right place. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware
    ... to use a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that I have spare instead. ... Just add the non-oss install directory to your install sources. ... The drivers for Atmel at76c50x wireless network chips in the Linux 2.6.x ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: .NET framework install
    ... > forced install of the .NET framework and thought this forum may be helpful ... > wireless mode. ... The adapter is enabled, but it cannot connect. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • .NET framework install
    ... wireless mode. ... The adapter is enabled, but it cannot connect. ... router is a Linksys 802.11b. ... ..NET install screw things up? ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • RE: Win XP no longer able to access LAN with win 98SE machines
    ... for your wireless adapter. ... wired adapter installed on one of my XP machines and the upgrade to XP SP2 ... the wired router is connected to port one of a wireless router, ...