Grub problems

I'm having a problem getting Grub set up after some changes.

The machine I was working with is an older Celeron with 2 drives. Drive 0
(sda) has PCDOS, Win2K, and a couple of version of OS/2 installed. Drive 1
(sdb) is a 100g Maxtor I use strictly for Linux. It had openSuse 10.2 and
Ubumtu installed on it with 2 free 15g unused partitions. Boot selection
uses the OS/2 Boot Manager on drive 0.

Here's the sequence that got me in trouble. I had a working copy of
openSuse 10.2 on drive 1, sdb6 and sdb7. I had all sorts of hassles
getting that installed primarily due to issues revolving around the 82810
onboard video so I wanted to see just what happened with 10.3 - the latest
alpha CD release. Similar problems installing but improved performance
after installation and configuration - but that's another post. Since I
had to use the text install, I (of course) screwed up the 10.3 Grub install
and let it install to the MBR instead of the root partition. No problem -
use the 10.3 Yast to re-install Grub to the root partition of the 10.3
installation and restore the MBR to re-activate the Boot Manager. Worked
as advertised and all th boot options worked as expected - DOS, Win, OS/2,
Ubuntu, openSuse 10.2 and 10.3 all available. Then I messed things up....

Booted to 10.2, I decided to clean up the 10.2 Grub and add 10.3 as a boot
option under Grub to simplify initial boot options - the menus were getting
pretty long. Using the Yast functions, I edited the 10.2 Grub options the
way I wanted them, checked to be sure it was writing to the root partition
where it was originally, and finished out. For some reason, I now have 2
Grub configurations for that particular partitions. If I try to boot
directly to the sdb7 (root) partition, I get a Grub menu with 3 items,
When I try and edit Grub from Yast, the menu of items it sees has 7
entries - and completing the Grub install will NOT update that
instalation - if I re-run the Yast operation, it reads in the same
configuration that it did the first time with none of the changes I just
made and bearing no relation to the menu I see on bootup. WTF???

Further info. If I use the "suggest new configuration" option to get a new
basic list, the suggested line for the 10.2 option now contains only the
single option "root=" with no parameters. The original line has a blank
option for "imgage=" and "initrd=", the save and re-scanned line drops even
that.

What file(s) do I need to edit to get this straightened out?

--
Will Honea

  • Re: [opensuse] Harddrive order - physical vs how openSUSE sees them
    ... I have central grub boot partition and every installed OS a secondary grub in ... After a new install the mbr points always to the last installed secondary grub. ... The only way out was restoring the primary boot partition from backup and then ... how or why openSUSE is seeing my hard drives in a different order ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Yast & Grub bootloader different.
    ... My Grub bootup menu is different than the bootloader ... that shows up on the logon screen aat boot time. ... any boot loader for that matter, can only operate on one /boot partition at ... Grub doesn't scour the all hard drives on each install ...
    (SuSE)
  • Karmic (Beta) Test Installs
    ... As mentioned in the "Grub 2 in Jaunty/Karmic can break double boot ... First test involved _upgrading_ the jaunty drive to karmic beta ... instead install over sda using the entire drive. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [SLE] Booting problem
    ... grub will not completly load, It shows Grub on the screen and then Grub ... install dvd,click install,click other,click boot to installed system. ... Loader and make sure you install the boot loader in the Master Boot Record. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Adding FC5 to an XP computer -
    ... Ordinarily, I'd use GRUB to handle booting, too. ... to avoid altering the Windows installation in that situation. ... the installation is now running with Grub and boot on the mbr. ... The fc5 install is on the second drive, ...
    (Fedora)