Re: Install from .tar.gz

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
David Bolt wrote:

All the more reason to look and see if a spec file is inside the
archive. If there is, it makes removing the packages a lot easier than
if you use the make/make install.

I'm writing programs since 40 years now, and I think that I can find
spec files in archives of every kind.

It's nice how you all are kidding, but that doesn't help anybody :-(

The questions you asked are more from someone who just stared compiling,
let alone programming. Hence the answers in that directions.

So the answer to you first question is:
createrepo (Can't believe you have not used that in 40 years of

We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

Relevant Pages

  • Re: format for data storage?
    ... >> you don't even know anything about programming. ... >> The only reason I'm using Google is for the archiving. ... > You should know that your articles will normally appear on Google ... It can be very useful for searching the archives, ...
  • Organising the archives of Comp.DSP
    ... - Theory -> Fourier Transforms ... - Theory -> Statistical Signal Processing ... - Programming -> Matlab ... be augmented/improved to organise in the best possible way the archives. ...
  • Re: Suggested MEMLIMIT value for SMFPRMxx
    ... Either change IEFUSI or SMFPRMxx - dynamically if needed (both are very ... This has nothing do to with "needs", it has to do with preventing a programming ... of crashing my system besides gobbling up gigabytes of virtual storage ... Search the archives at ...
  • Re: Would logo count as an introduction to lisp?
    ... >> If you don't know any programming language, ... >> Some basic Common Lisp or some scheme. ... The point is that there are two kinds of newbies: ... > search archives many months or even a few years after the fact to get ...
  • Re: multiple namespaces
    ... You should be programming instead of pondering uselessly these questions. ... what language I should be programming a particular project in. ... too often (check the archives at and if you ... Really, if you must choose between scheme and Common Lisp, try other criteria. ...