Re: Install from .tar.gz

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:-

David Bolt wrote:

YaST has been under the GPL for several releases. It was under its own
license upto SuSE 9.0, and was re-licensed under the GPL in SuSE 9.1.
So, when you used SuSE 9.2, it had already been open for over 6 months.

With "closed" I do not mean closed source, I mean the specific data
management, that doesn't allow to enter new packages *other* than RPM.

In that case, it's not YaST you're commenting on, but RPM. The software
installer part of YaST is just a front-end for RPM.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  • [SLE] Yast2 and gcompris by packman
    ... Recently i tried to install gcompris provided by packman using yast under SuSE 9.1. ... This behavior appened also with other rpm provided directly by SuSE (ex. ... leggere la tua email di superEva da SMS e dalla segreteria! ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Session management error
    ... But, Joe, whenever I did a refresh all the later ... You guys may be able to coax YaST into working with this strategy, ... And yes, in response to your question, Brian, the CLI program "rpm" is at the ... YOU to download and install official SUSE patches plus ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Install from .tar.gz
    ... license upto SuSE 9.0, and was re-licensed under the GPL in SuSE 9.1. ... Well, not at this moment, because YaST is an RPM based system. ... The fault here does not lie with YaST, but with RPM, DEB and TGZ. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: problems building gtkhtml-3.8.2
    ... I guess not, Suse doesn't install devel's in the beginning, eh? ... information a compiler might need. ... rpm is a packet manager. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [SLE] yast to update suse10 not working
    ... update the suse 10 system using yast with the rpm patches I download. ... I usually update the system with the suse 10 patches for linux, kdebase, ...
    (SuSE)