Re: swap partition sharing

Chris wrote:
Does anyone know if the Linux swap partition can be shared between openSUSE
10.2 and openSUSE 10.3?

My thought is that it should be, but I thought I would check first. I just
downloaded 10.3 (yay torrent! and yes I'm seeding now :)) and I want to try
it out on a small, 4GB partition. Instead of splitting that 4 GB free space
into two partitions (/ and swap), I would like to just have 10.3 reuse the
swap partition that 10.2 is using now.

I have four distros split two each on two physical hard drives. They share a single 1.38G swap partition on the first drive. There are not two SUSE distros, but that should not make any difference, as long as each has been told, during install, which partition to use for swap.

--
Virg Wall

  • Re: Hibernation woes
    ... would go about creating a swap partition on this Operating System. ... swapon -a" should give you a swap partition. ... Hopefully, as a pastor, you have ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: adding an extra hard disk and adding space to /usr
    ... ADD this new disk onto the already existing /usr partition. ... I am no expert on freebsd, but in my opinion tar is a good choice. ... Comment out your existing SWAP partition in /etc/fstab. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: hard drive size on a RAID1 array
    ... They are partitioned into two: a 20gb partition and a 480gb partition ... A swap partition is a partition too, ... The first and simplest thing would be that you've created a filesystem of ... my experiences with software RAID are highly limited - I've ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Installation
    ... It fits the recommendation of the swap partition being about twice the ... The average Newbie has an average box. ... Can I make a partition that goes over all my hard drives? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: adding an extra hard disk and adding space to /usr
    ... ADD this new disk onto the already existing /usr partition. ... the safest way is to copy /usr to /mnt is via the ... Comment out your existing SWAP partition in /etc/fstab. ...
    (freebsd-stable)