Re: 10.3?

Punjab The Sailor Man wrote:
Thomas Tootle wrote:
Greetings,
I anxiously got up at 0500 to start a torrent client to download 10.3.
Can't find a torrent or a mirror that is showing it yet. Isn't today the
release date? Any ideas when it will be available? Damn, I'm like a kid
on Christmas morning!
Tom

Why did gwdg.de have it before download.suse.com or
software.suse.org/download?

First of all, it may well be that all mirrors did or did not have them
at the same time. They need to sync first to carry them :)

Secondly, not all mirrors had their rights set to open to everybody.
Some were set wrongly, so they could be downloaded in advance.

I was among the lucky ones who happened to try downloads while the
window was unintentionally (or intentionally) open.

There were mirrors giving 403 errors, there were also mirrors asking for
usernames and passwords.

I think thet were set correctly.

Thirdly, gwdg.de is their "own" server farm, which may or may not have
set the right correctly before the official launch.

Fourthly, the launch was (usually is) on an afternoon in Germany (CET)

There may be other reasons :)

--
Vahis

  • Re: capping the apt-getting of packages from ftp.xy.debian.org to < 50KBps?
    ... archive mirrors. ... capping the download speed on its servers by this much then I would ... I gather that you've tried several different mirrors, ... I only have a couple of computers running debian so running a local ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [Full-disclosure] Re: Download Accelerator Plus can be tricked to download malicious file
    ... DAP searches for all its mirrors from mirrorsearch.speedbit.com ... I have no knowledge about HOW the mirrors are gathered. ... > one of the popular and best download manager for windows. ... > providing the file is DOWN or due to network congestions the users may ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Yum annoyance: "[Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum" over and over
    ... It's common for this to happen around a dozen times or more, which since the file is 3.8M can add up to 50M just to download metadata to find out whether there are updates. ... So it uses the live mirrorlist {by default - and customized to your country -if more than two in country mirrors seem OK, otherwise the general all mirrorlist}, connects at random to one of the mirrors, and downloads the apparently ~out of date~ metadata file. ... Modify the $basearch to be your fedora architecture ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Can someone please help I have been stuck for days.
    ... Okay I finally got the right copy of FC3 and I able to get my NIC ... Mathew ... > In terms of a location to download them, ... > of the Fedora mirrors. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Signals and system
    ... > My python program needs to download a number of files. ... > as a list of mirrors of that file. ... I am using system to run wget. ... > any signals, so that the user doesn't need to repetitively press Ctrl-C ...
    (comp.lang.python)