Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:00:05 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

jw_karori wrote:
Thanks, worked fine. Logged-on as "root" (no password), and executed sax2 which worked just fine (recognised my Hyundai L90D monitor and adjusted refresh rate accordingly). But how do I regain the Gnome environment? Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me a blank gray screen ..
The easiest method it to login as root, type:

init 3

to place the system in console mode (called "runlevel 3"). Execute sax, and then type:

init 5 && logout

to return the system to graphical mode ("runlevel 5") and log the root user out of the console. You will be returned to the desktop automatically.

He never made it to his desktop. He had a crashed desktop. Do you
ever actually read the posts?

Do you actually know that init 3 kills the crashed desktop?
.