Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:00:05 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

jw_karori wrote:
Thanks, worked fine. Logged-on as "root" (no password), and executed sax2 which worked just fine (recognised my Hyundai L90D monitor and adjusted refresh rate accordingly). But how do I regain the Gnome environment? Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me a blank gray screen ..
The easiest method it to login as root, type:

init 3

to place the system in console mode (called "runlevel 3"). Execute sax, and then type:

init 5 && logout

to return the system to graphical mode ("runlevel 5") and log the root user out of the console. You will be returned to the desktop automatically.

He never made it to his desktop. He had a crashed desktop. Do you
ever actually read the posts?

Do you actually know that init 3 kills the crashed desktop?

  • Re: openSUSE 10.3 : Video Mode Not Supported
    ... Startx doesn't seem to work, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 just gives me a blank gray screen .. ... to place the system in console mode. ... init 5 && logout ... to return the system to graphical mode ("runlevel 5") and log the root user out of the console. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Fedora Core 5 Stops init before runlevel 5
    ... starts up, it stops before runlevel 5 (i believe 3, because i can login ... and 'init 5' or 'startx' to bring up the gui login). ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • FC2 text login at runlevel 5
    ... I have installed a new system and even though I am in runlevel 5 I get ... If I login and do startx there are no problems ... Init 3 followed by init 5 doesn't start up a graphical ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • NSA to release Linux distribution based on Rick Hohensees cLIeNUX
    ... changed the name of /bin in his weird little cLIeNUX distro to /command? ... bundle thier seLinux demo kernel in an end-user oriented no-GUI distro ... For use with Miquel Van Smoorenberg's init. ... Runlevel changes may be caused by system ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Problems Installing FC4 on a small machine
    ... You are in single-user mode, ... which init starts a shell before processing /etc/inittab, ... Runlevel one would not really have to be "single-user", ... If you had no other screens available (the mingetty processes ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)