Re: Password problems...

Gary Gapinski wrote:
Barely Audible wrote:
When I boot the box it ignores the auto login and ends with the blue
login screen. I enter the user/password and it gives brief flash of
files loading, black screen and then I'm back at the login screen.

This sounds like your X session is terminating.

Place the system at init level 3, log in, then run startx and watch for
problems.

doing this and logging in under the user name results in...

xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X srever
xinit: Mo such process (errno 3): Server Error

Logging in under the root user runs it okay..

--

TTFN
Jim

Do not touch anything unnecessarily.
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies,
as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses,
and men lying on roads they are not there accidentally....
-- Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

  • X11R6
    ... I have reloaded it four times thinking I needed to use a different disk. ... xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to xserver ...
    (Debian-User)
  • xorg wont work and wont generate a log
    ... I have done it before but not having a log file ... | xinit: No such processs (errno 3): Server error. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: X Authentication Problem
    ... xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: xorg wont work and wont generate a log
    ... | xinit: No such processs (errno 3): Server error. ... You do kill gdm before running startx, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • no KDE anymore with Mandrake 9.2
    ... I have Mandrake 9.2 and as I am an user of KDE 3.1, ... uninstall Gnome from my computer. ... xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2) ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)