Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

Jeff wrote:

<snip>
This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
this newsgroup clean
Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

Long story:
Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
select google? Glad you asked.
If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
on your home computer.
e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
as well on any OS.
If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
still quote correctly as described on the following page:

Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
a webforum. This is not a webforum.

I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

Untill then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
won't do so. So in the interest of solcing your problems, quote correctly
and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best
response and help possible.

houghi
--
Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

  • Re: USB hdd drive mount
    ... Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on ... Pan, Knode or slrn, among others. ... Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. ... Untill then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Monitor Doesnt Lock Onto Video Card Signal
    ... Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on ... Pan, Knode or slrn, among others. ... Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. ... Untill then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes
    ... Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on ... Pan, Knode or slrn, among others. ... Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. ... Until then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: what on earth is opensuse, as opposite from what?
    ... Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on ... Pan, Knode or slrn, among others. ... Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. ... Until then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Problem running Yast through VNC on 11