Re: Running Programs on Suse 10.3

On Dec 2, 5:08 am, houghi <hou...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
teamwade wrote:
Hi,

I want to make the change to linux. But I just don't understand the
running of programs.

You click on them from the menubar and they run.

E.g Using suse 10.3 I went tohttp://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE:10.3
and chose, WINE and VMWARE for my computer using the one click. Went
to load and go through the process.

I would have used YaST, but how you did it works as well.

But I cannot find the software anywhere to run and use the program.

Uh, if you talk about wine and VMware, I am seriously confused. It seems
that you want to run Windows programs. There is nothing better to run
Windows programs then Windows. Seriously.

I have attempted to down load and use the command line with out
confidence.

'Attempted to download and use the command line'? What does that mean?
The CLI is already there. You can not even install openSUSE without it.
Well, if you can you would not be posting the questions you have, you
would be giving US the answers to our questions. ;-)

Can you direct me to a video online of some one loading and running a
program.

http://houghi.org/wink/menu_show.htmand that is hwo _I_ do it. Other
people will be using KDE or GNOME and will use different menu's

I followed some youtube video of a guy loading VMWARE and windows on
top.

Anyway, hope you can point me to some videos about loading and running
software.

There are at least 7 differnt ways to launch programs. Starting on the
launch button will be the most obvious one.

PS what is linux's camtasia type program?

Depends on what you want to do with it. To explain people how software
works, wink is great. For screencapture, XVidCap is great.

I am still worried that what you want is to run only Windows programs on
Linux and that is generaly a BAD idea.http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

It has the ability to do so. That does not mean that that is its
purpose. I have a slight feeling that you want to run Linux for the
wrong reasons.

houghi
--
How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with linux is best for linux programs. But I paid a a lot of
money for a program that only runs in Microsoft Access and I dont
want to loose the ability to use it.

I'm attempting to use openSUSE 10.3 on a Travelmate 5515WLMI AMD 2G
dual core, 2 Gig Ram

In viewing your recorded video I can see I was a little non specific
when I ment I could not run the program.

I'll attempt to describe my expreience.
I downloaded VMWARE through YAST, it then told me it had finished set
up. I went to applications and could not find VMWARE.

I realise windows is different but I would expect to find a icon to
start using the program.

cheers
AL

  • Re: OT - techy people please advise
    ... the vast majority of programs don't only run on it. ... But there is a Linux ... a respectable number of Windows programs can be started. ... database with information on how well Wine supports Windows programs, ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Running Programs on Suse 10.3
    ... Windows programs then Windows. ... Linux and that is generaly a BAD idea.http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm ... I downloaded VMWARE through YAST, it then told me it had finished set ... If you would like to try running your windows program with WINE - you ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Fortran in a box
    ... because Wine Is Not an Emulator. ... exact same thing on top of linux (and its been out for, oh, about 2 ... You could boot up a VPC (or VMWare) session w/in windows ... >Name a NON-Microsoft O.S. that allows me to run CVF ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Why Linux is not getting poplular in Desktop in any Corporate world?
    ... >> apparently don't know that Windows apps can be run under Linux. ... > Windows programs will run directly, ... If you have Wine or one of its derivatives, then yes, *some* programs can be ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Running Programs on Suse 10.3
    ... I want to make the change to linux. ... Most documentation is very technical. ... I am unfamiliar with WINE but VMWARE can be simple to use for some things, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)