Re: Creating a Recovery Partition

Hi Ravi

Easy to create and then overwrite the partition at the Linux level.
Takes a bit more to automate the steps based on a boot choice.

Assuming you don't care about data on the target partition, ie overwrite
regardless, I suggest you use dd to capture the entire filesystem
(offline) to a single file on your "recovery" partition. You can
compress it on the fly if needed. Your main OS doesn't have to be Linux
BTW, it would just as easily be a Windows NTFS partition. (Given you
virus comments I assume you are talking Windows..)

On your recovery partition I would also have a very small Linux OS that
has a kernel and a few utility commands - including dd. Configure the
startup scripts to launch a restore of the saved filesystem. If you have
a lot of space just do a minimal SuSE CLI only install on that partition
as a starting point.

Launching the recovery should be a grub/lilo boot choice rather than a
BIOS one. Probably better to use lilo in this case as it only relies on
the MBR rather than a breakable directory/grub menu.

There are of course many options and alternate methods you could use for
this task. tar/gz is a good option for a Linux FS and you may just want
to cp -p if space isn't an issue.

Personally I'd do all the above from a rescue or Knoppix CD, but I can
see it would be handy to have a simpler package.

Is the F11 choice actually in BIOS? I can see that changing the
active/boot partition would enable this, but equally it could be MBR
code accomplishing the same thing.

Cheers Bob

ravi wrote:
Something like how HP, Dell, PC World etc. have theirs set up? So if a
virus corrupts the C: drive, and I need to format my drive, I can just
hit the F10 key (or F11 etc.) in bios to access the recovery partition
without using the Ghost disc?

  • Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)
    ... >> The Linux boot floppy is a bit more tricky. ... So I tried adding cfdisk to a spare Debian Woody boot ... > I reduced all the partition sizes by a third. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux, XP, Win2003 Server multi-boot
    ... Go to PC magazine's web site and do a search on "partitioning for linux" to see articles and reviews about partitioning philosophy and tools. ... Tools are now available in many bootable CD based Linux distributions to resize the C: partition of your disk drive to make room for Linux. ... I finally got the new machine - it came with one of those 'recovery' disks - and a 5 gig recovery partition that isn't supposed to be deleted. ... Once I feel I have everything in order - always lose something when I get a new computer - I'll format that disk and install Linux & Win2003 on it I guess. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Linux Windows dual boot not restoring properly
    ... Linux is showing the Windows folders in its file manager under the name of what effectively was drive C. ... decreases that Windows partition size in order to make a partition ... And at startup, can scan the hard drives, for partition types it ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Panasonic HD Recorders - What disk format?
    ... The earlier part of this is more about what may be Linux partitioning, ... might be possible to present the recorder with a larger disk already ... Most DOS/Windows utilities such as FDisk, Ghost, and Partition Magic Pro ... prompts to format it. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Disc Partitioning for Multi-Boot (long)
    ... We need to get the data off of the NTFS partition. ... But the next question is how to partition the drive so Windows and Linux ... The fdisk supplied with Windows 98 cannot manage that disc. ... How shall I make a multi-boot system out of that machine, ...
    (Fedora)