Re: Creating a Recovery Partition

Hi Ravi

Easy to create and then overwrite the partition at the Linux level.
Takes a bit more to automate the steps based on a boot choice.

Assuming you don't care about data on the target partition, ie overwrite
regardless, I suggest you use dd to capture the entire filesystem
(offline) to a single file on your "recovery" partition. You can
compress it on the fly if needed. Your main OS doesn't have to be Linux
BTW, it would just as easily be a Windows NTFS partition. (Given you
virus comments I assume you are talking Windows..)

On your recovery partition I would also have a very small Linux OS that
has a kernel and a few utility commands - including dd. Configure the
startup scripts to launch a restore of the saved filesystem. If you have
a lot of space just do a minimal SuSE CLI only install on that partition
as a starting point.

Launching the recovery should be a grub/lilo boot choice rather than a
BIOS one. Probably better to use lilo in this case as it only relies on
the MBR rather than a breakable directory/grub menu.

There are of course many options and alternate methods you could use for
this task. tar/gz is a good option for a Linux FS and you may just want
to cp -p if space isn't an issue.

Personally I'd do all the above from a rescue or Knoppix CD, but I can
see it would be handy to have a simpler package.

Is the F11 choice actually in BIOS? I can see that changing the
active/boot partition would enable this, but equally it could be MBR
code accomplishing the same thing.

Cheers Bob

ravi wrote:
Something like how HP, Dell, PC World etc. have theirs set up? So if a
virus corrupts the C: drive, and I need to format my drive, I can just
hit the F10 key (or F11 etc.) in bios to access the recovery partition
without using the Ghost disc?
.