Re: How to set hostname with underscore in Suse 10.3 (e. g. name_something@domain)?

On 9 Jan, 19:19, David Bolt <blacklist...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Bengt T wrote:-
I can manage to change hostname with yast except when i wish to use
"underscore" in the hostname. Yast simply does not accept it. "name-
something@domain" is ok with yast but not "name_somethin@domain".

Can anyone assist please?

Do you really mean host name or user name? A host name would be
something.domain whereas the format you've used is for an email address.

If you really did mean a domain name, then you need to know that the '_'
character isn't a valid character for use in a domain name, and it
probably why YaST won't accept it.

Regards,
David Bolt

--www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net:OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

Yes, I mean hostname. In yast ther is one window to fill in for
hostname and an other for domain name.

/Bengt

  • Re: domain name
    ... I never had a problem with the hostname. ... troubles when the host is a server on the 'Net with a static IP and ... Seems to me it should return "localhost" in that case, ... configuration internally consistent with a private configuration in ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: hostnames and interfaces
    ... Apache documentation on doing virtual hosts and maybe do some ... A fully Qualified Host Name consists of two main parts. ... During installation, when it asks for hostname, it wants a Fully ... service what DNS server will be providing DNS service for that domain. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: /bin/hostname
    ... Find a real news server. ... in /etc/hosts that maps the host and the FQDN to the static IP ... Linux distributions are supposed to follow Linux Standard Base standards, ... hostname -- show or set the system's host name ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Renaming machine and /etc/hosts
    ... Note that "localhost" is as has been described, ... machine's actual hostname - so this machine can /only/ find itself as ... qualified hostname for the loopback IP numbers. ... Ethernet and send traffic to it from this host it will be looped too. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: apache not starting: FreeBSd 5.4
    ... Assigning a Host name to your FBSD system. ... statement hostname= to /etc/rc.conf. ... registered domain name on the public Internet (unless of course it's ...
    (freebsd-questions)