Re: Why? 9.3 was Reiser; 10.3 is Ext3

On 2008-01-18, David Bolt <blacklist-me@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I find that file systems where I have large numbers of files
in a directory is much faster with reiserfs than ext3. However, reiserfs
seems to be slower than ext3 when dealing with large file sizes, and
both appear to be slower than the single xfs partition I use just for
video work.

Regards,
David Bolt

Your video work got me interested here.

Do you see or know of other benefits than speed in xfs?

As for constant writing and erasing of big files,

possible advantage in speed has not much relevance for me, but maybe
there are other benefits in xfs there?

Downloading a lot of iso files via torrent and deleting them?

Vahis
--
Reconstructing my site using Server Side Includes:
http://waxborg.servepics.com

  • Re: ReiseFS vs XFS
    ... > installation of the Debian system with XFS. ... ReiserFS is faster than ext3 ONLY for files under 4kB. ... would use the ext3 filesystem. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Ext3 vs Reiser FS
    ... I never lost a single file using ext3 and xfs. ... highest available quality at the time, so the corruption and losses ... Suse 9.3) and got rid of the ReiserFS, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: What is the "market share" of the different Filesystems (ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS). Ma
    ... Ubuntu 98% ext4 ... the operating system on anything other than ext2 or ext3 (and possibly ... ext4 now), even though their kernel supports reiserfs, xfs and jfs as ... reiserfs was the default in SuSE once and in one or two older Mandrake ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Efficacy of file systems (for some applications)
    ... I found the reference/comments about ext3 and Reiserfs, both used as 'defaults' in openSuse, interesting to say the least. ... I can understand the problem with fast deletion, but not that you can get corruption in reiserfs due to the large files used. ... I installed is running VERY well on XFS.) ... That's not a big deal in itself: both reiserfs and ext3 did recover fine on next boot; but xfs failed reconstruction and the whole install failed. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: mode data=journal in ext3. Is it safe to use?
    ... > you some background, I had been using ReiserFS before switching to ext3, ... > consistently ended up with corrupt files. ... It would consistently crash in the fs code ...
    (Linux-Kernel)